News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Positron Studio Update

Started by JohnB, Jul 29, 2021, 08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dionbrewington

I tried opening the same files on one of my other systems and it was fine.  The only real difference was my other system is 1920x1080 where my primary is 4k.  So I adjusted my display settings on my primary to 1080 and then everything opened fine.  Now I adjusted back to 4k and everything is opening fine.  At the moment everything is working.  :^)

SeanG_65

Quote from: JohnB on Mar 28, 2023, 09:48 AMI cannot get it to fail here doing exactly as you did.
Assuming you are working on a 64bit version of windows try downloading this version of the main executable and replacing the installed version. It has a few changes which will be in the upcoming release.

Sorry, I posted (or THOUGHT I did) a reply.

Try creating "New Source" rather than new project, then try the fuse configurator.

Also, I have now found that when I try to access tha manuals, all works OK if I page down or up, but if I try to drag the bar up or down I get a different violation error.

PLEASE don't think I am criticising the IDE, I think it is ia work of genius, and I know how hard it is to catch everything, in fact one of my skill-sets is an uncanny ability to find bugs in code and hardware. I have found errors which automated test scripts have missed. I have no idea how, I just do it.

JohnB

Sean - I have done exactly what you said and I cannot reproduce that issue here. There must be something in your setup.  When exactly do you get the AV?  Is it on clicking the Fuses Tab, selecting a fuse or changing the value of a fuse or applying it to your code?

With regard to the PDF viewer, this is a 3rd party plugin I am using. I am aware of the problem and have reported it back to the developer but I don't have a solution.  That's why I have added an option to shell out to your default PDF viewer.

JohnB

JonW

I also get an error when I move from Code to assembly.  I just press ok and can progress.
Untitled.jpg

joesaliba

Opening a file sometimes gives Access violation as well.

Joe

SeanG_65

Ho JohnB, It is when I try to adjust a value and is EXACTLY what JONW gets. If I press ENTER I can progress again, as JONW says.

I saw the .dll error on the PDF reader, and wondered why you had included the option to use an external viewer, then the penny dropped. To be Honest, I code with a multi monitor setup, schematics on one, IDE on the main, and Datasheets and the like on the thirds, so I would simply have a check box in settings to use internal or external viewer. The coding would be easier, and most people would probably use en external viewer anyway. Proton uses Adobe as the internal viewer, but I guess Adobe, being Adobe, wanted a huge fee for the licensing?

I just tried the Assembler view and I get the SAME as JONW, access violation  :'(

JonW

JohnB

I am a little at a loss as to what is causing the AVs when switching between code and ASM view.  Does it also happen when switching between Hex and Code?  Does it happen every time you switch to assembler view or only after a fresh compile?

Sean With Fuse Configurator, can I just confirm, you only get the AV when you change the fuse settings on a newly created file and it works OK if its a newly created project?

I think I have found the issue Joe Saliba is having opening files.
JohnB

JonW

On my install, it doe this by switching from fuses assembler or Hex and it's not related to the compilation. It never occurs switching back to the code window or between .bas files.

SeanG_65

JohnB, Yes, correct. If I start new code on its own, the configurator gives errors, but if I write the code from in a new project, the fuse config works ok.

I'm amazed something so complicated has so few errors anyway. It's a great piece of work.

dionbrewington

Just an update.  I still have access violation errors trying to open fies.  Its strange because sometimes I can open a few files fine and sometimes it bombs time and time again on the same files with no changes to the files.  If I open them as text files they are fine.  Just when loading the as a basic file. This was a big problem when I had the preference set that reopens files on startup because sometimes it would just give the errors on launch and I didn't realize it was happening when loading the .bas file. 

Quote from: dionbrewington on Mar 30, 2023, 10:23 PMI tried opening the same files on one of my other systems and it was fine.  The only real difference was my other system is 1920x1080 where my primary is 4k.  So I adjusted my display settings on my primary to 1080 and then everything opened fine.  Now I adjusted back to 4k and everything is opening fine.  At the moment everything is working.  :^)

JohnB

@dionbrewington @SeanG_65
Here is a link to a new version which uses a different method of switching between pages.
JonW has tested it and it seems to have cured his AV issues.  Its not an installation, just the app for win 64 systems.

Please let me know how you get on.
JohnB

John Lawton

Hi John,

great, this version seems more stable with a lot of files loaded. I was getting access violation errors in the past and none so far. It doesn't seem any faster swapping between document tabs however.

JohnB

Quote from: John Lawton on Apr 04, 2023, 11:27 AMIt doesn't seem any faster swapping between document tabs however.
I think that is the penalty, I am looking for areas where I might be able to speed it up but I think stability is better than speed.
JohnB

dionbrewington

I tried the new version and opened a bunch of files and so far I have not recreated the access violation on opening the files.  However, if I open two files and then click the X to close the first file its giving the access violation every time so far. 

JohnB

@dionbrewington I have found this issue and I have just updated the file.  It also should open and switch between pages a little faster. Also applies to @John Lawton and @JONW.

Download it from Here
JohnB

dionbrewington

Unfortunately that broke it worse.  Now when I open the files the code section is blank.  If I click back and forth between the files then the code appears.  I can then close them without a problem but when I close the app I get the violation error.  I cannot close the app without ending the task.

JonW

Did the same for me so I reverted back to the last one John

JohnB

I did most of my testing with Project manager and there were no problems.  Just tried opening individual files and I see your problem re blank pages.  I did not have any Access Violations at any time.  I also found that with Re-Open files on when application rests is checked the files I had left open are opened normally.

I have found the issue after loading the file I wasn't calling Show.

Please try this new version.
JohnB

JonW

Does the same for me John.  Opens the files but then comes up with the same violation