News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Appropriate coms system for BMS integration.

Started by TimB, Mar 26, 2021, 08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimB

Hi,

I'm thinking ahead to a new product. It needs to be able to be integrated into a companies BMS system. No idea what BMS it will be though.

The data/signal I need to send is a few packets of data, say 10-20 bytes at a time every 1 to 5 seconds. Or it could just be a signal. eg 4-20ma.

I know some of you have industrial controls experience. What system would you recommend. 4-20ma on a couple of channels or perhaps Modbus...

Thanks

Tim

RGV250

Hi Tim,
It is Building Management System, BACNet, LONWorkks, KNX etc are all different protocols so you would really need to know which on first. Im afraid I do not have anything else.

Bob

RayEllam

From my past work in industrial controls 4-20mA, 0-10V, digital output and pulse outputs were common for the individual sensors. The local controllers that the sensors connected to were mostly modbus comms back to a central PC running the SCADA software via a LAN or RS485.

I would do some research on The most common BMS systems and go from there.

gtvpic

hi Tim
In my opinion, today is the time for digital communications, so I would choose to have an RS485 communication and another WIFI ethernet, the ESP8266 modules and the like are cheap and simple, in fact a few months ago I finished a project of the control of some automatic doors which have BLUETOOTH, WIFI and RS485 modbus communication to integrate into any building system.
Another issue is the protocols to be supported in each of the communication channels, but that really is software so it is a matter of adapting to future requests or making different variants of the product according to customer demand.
Good luck
bye