Lack of Https support is making this site very difficult to use

Started by JohnB, May 14, 2024, 08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lawton

I can't help thinking that Les could simply raise a support ticket with the hosting ISP and they'll sort it out.

John

top204

I've tried that, and they open a stupid bot to chat. However, I do not have a clue to all the acronyms they use and when I try to understand what is going on, the cpanel site just puts me back to the same page where I do not understand a word it is stating! I try to do d simple task of re-issuing the SSL or whatever it is, and it just goes back to the same page for help and not actually doing. If they have teh SSL code and it is still valid, why the hell do I have to go through all of this crap to try and re-install something that did not need altering in the first place?

I will gladly give the cpanel password to a trusted forum user, so they can sort it out, because I simply cannot, and I have, essentially, given up trying!

John Lawton

Hi Les,

please do, and please include your host ISP support login details so someone can raise a support ticket with them.

John

trastikata

I've decided to try and see if I'll manage to install a certificate on the same hosting as Les ... took me few hours and lots of bad words to figure it out, but finally did it  :) .

If you want I can install it for you Les.

SSL1.png

SSL.png

top204

Yes please trastikata.

For someone with experience working with the internet and it still taking a few hours to sort it out shows the nonsense it is! I still do not understand why it is not defaulted if it is so very important (which it is not unless personal details are held in the host space). The host knows all of the SSL details because they sent it to me in an email, so why is an SSL not automatically assigned to an HTTP site?

Browsers seem to be getting just like rip-off virus scanners and go for the "this means doom!!!!!" scenario all the time, even when it is far from it.

Send me an email and I will give you the log in details and give you the email proof text they send to me.

A thousand thanks if you can sort it.

trastikata

Quote from: top204 on May 18, 2024, 05:00 PMSend me an email and I will give you the log in details and give you the email proof text they send to me.

Hello Les,

I've sent you a PM with my email, it should be in your mail list, it is the old one.

I don't understand it either - something so important for normal site usage and so complicated to do. And worst thing is it has to be reissued every year although the certificate is 5 years ...

Check your PM inbox.

John Lawton

Well done.

Use AutoSSL and it... auto-renews.

J

top204

Many, many thanks Dyanko, and many thanks for your offer to sort it out John.

We have some wonderful people on this forum.

trastikata

Quote from: John Lawton on May 18, 2024, 05:32 PMWell done.

Use AutoSSL and it... auto-renews.

J

John, unfortunately as per new regulations (who knows by who  :) ) new certificates have to be reissued every year which means new CSR request, new validation and certificate installation, although they may be purchased for several years ahead ... control everywhere nowadays.

John Lawton

Well done getting the certificate installed, phew, back to normal at last!

I've not heard that AutoSSL will no longer work, where did you hear that please?

John

trastikata

QuotePurchasing an SSL certificate for more than 1 year is no longer possible. Due to changes in Apple, Mozilla and Google Root Store Policies, as of September 1, 2020, newly issued SSL/TLS certificates with a validity period greater than 13 months (397 days) are prohibited by policy and will not be trusted.

JohnB

JohnB

John Lawton

Quote from: trastikata on May 18, 2024, 07:36 PMPurchasing an SSL certificate for more than 1 year is no longer possible. Due to changes in Apple, Mozilla and Google Root Store Policies, as of September 1, 2020, newly issued SSL/TLS certificates with a validity period greater than 13 months (397 days) are prohibited by policy and will not be trusted.

That doesn't mean that AutoSSL will fail to work anymore, and indeed it is working for me on my websites. It auto-renews the cert when it is about to expire. If this site doesn't use AutoSSL then I assume someone will need to manually renew the certificate when it becomes due for renewal - which certainly isn't ideal.

Incidentally my Edge browser insists the site is 'Not secure':

QuoteThis site has a valid certificate, issued by a trusted authority.

However, some parts of the site are not secure. This means information (such as passwords or credit cards) might not be securely sent to this site and may be intercepted or seen by others.

Make of that what you will.

trastikata

Quote from: John Lawton on May 18, 2024, 07:48 PMIncidentally my Edge browser insists the site is 'Not secure':

QuoteThis site has a valid certificate, issued by a trusted authority.

However, some parts of the site are not secure. This means information (such as passwords or credit cards) might not be securely sent to this site and may be intercepted or seen by others.

Make of that what you will.

John, is this about www.protoncompiler.com or your site?

John Lawton

Interesting, yes I was referring to this site protoncompiler.com but when I clicked your link, a new browser tab appeared without the "Not secure" message, so I currently have two tabs open, one secure the other apparently not :)

Naturally I had tried refreshing the offending tab, but to no avail.

So rather odd, but probably no cause for concern.

John

trastikata

I've verified the certificate on-line for both with and without www and there are no issues:

https://decoder.link/sslchecker/www.protoncompiler.com/443
https://decoder.link/sslchecker/protoncompiler.com/443

In your case looks like it might be a browser cash issue?

John Lawton

Indeed, and I'm now ignoring it.

Well done again.

John

See_Mos

Well done and thanks Trastikata

Back to normal in Siri

Frizie

Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

RGV250

Hi John,
QuoteIncidentally my Edge browser insists the site is 'Not secure':
Chrome said the same when refreshing but close it down and open a new window and all is fine.

Bob