News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Large 3 digit LED wall mount display

Started by normnet, May 12, 2024, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normnet

I am having little luck finding a 3 digit LED display with a minimum of 2 1/4" high digits and a RS485 input.  The few found seem to be $300 to $450 USD range which seems silly as almost all clock radios include a similar LED display for much less.

Has anyone utilized a large LED wall mount display in their projects?

normnet

Another possible solution would be an On Screen Display text overlay.  I've found a few MAX7456 OSD  development board1, development board2 still available and have requested application information.

Does the OSD device connect to the TV coax input cable or the TV RCA phono jack input cable?

top204

Why not use a matrix of WS2812B chips?

You can get the flexible PCBs quite cheap and making it have text and other things if required, is very simple to do. Also, if a single board does not have enough RGB devices on it, just join them together. i.e. Dout from one board to Din to the other.

JonW

That's what I did, Les, for a much larger screen. I built an 8 x 8 array of WS LED's 150mm x 150mm with USB for power and comms. I had one master and 19 slaves, and I built a font table into each slave so I could address each panel with serial data. Added an 868M transceiver for a remote control and PC app as it had to be 500M away from the controller.  I think the panels worked out about £40 each fully SMT

normnet

Interesting however I would require a 3D printer to get the finished enclosure look.

kcsl

I've been using Kingbright 4.5" single digit LED displays in clocks.
Part number SA40-19SRWA

I've just checked and apparently they are discontinued, but some suppliers still have stock.
Wouldn't be hard to made a driver board for them to support your protocol.

There's no room for optimism in software or hardware engineering.

trastikata

5 inch 105*140*15.8mm 7 segment Red Displays - 5$

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003601649978.html

From 1" to 8" RED/Blue/GREEN/WHITE 7 Segment display

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003644094035.html

normnet

pjdenyer

Here's some thing I did back in 2014

normnet