News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

PCD design software

Started by pjdenyer, Oct 13, 2022, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjdenyer

What pcb design software are people using?

atomix

Sprint Layout 6.0

But I'm thinking of switching to Kicad in the future.

John Lawton

basiclover

I used EAGLE for years, when it became Autodesk I switched to KICAD which is free and powerfull

Wimax

I am very comfortable with Diptrace, powerful enough for my purposes and quick to learn.

Ivano

JonW

Altium for complex boards  with minimal RF ,Keysight ADS for Microwave PCB , Easy EDA for fast turn simple boards.  I also use Easy EDA for front panel design and have boards made on single layer aluminium, very low cost way of making front panels ;-)

GDeSantis

I've used Easy PC (https://www.numberone.com/) for years and its always met my needs.  It's schematic and PCB layout design editors work flawlessly and it's super easy to create and add new library components.  Overall, it is an excellent program for single users or small businesses.

A lower cost option more suitable for a single user would be Sprint Layout Version 6 (https://www.electronic-software-shop.com/).

TimB

Dompie

I'm very happy with EasyEDA and the (almost) automatic link to JLCPCB and LCSC.

HAL

Hello

Using KiCad 5.1.12 on W7.
It was recommended here by many members.
Easy to create gerber an drill files zip them and upload to JLCPCB.
I think I'm on board 34 currently....

Cheers

shantanu@india

Stopped designing my own pcb's years ago. My designer uses DesignSpark from RS Components
Regards
Shantanu

Teo

joesaliba

EAGLE, now integrated with Fusion 360. Great for doing 3D printed enclosures

Joe

Oskar-svr

ALTIUM DESIGNER VERY GOOD PROGRAM 
https://www.altium.com/es/altium-designer

Wimax

it is nice to see that we use practically all the software available on the market !  ;D

Stephen Moss

I have used several packages over the year mostly dictated by changes to work...

Easy PC by Number one systems:
Very good for general usage/hobbyist but while I was using it did not have more advanced features like blind/buried via's for multilayer boards. Easy to create additional components that include real life/3D views. Used it for years as it was the standard at work until someone new came in and wanted everyone to switch to Proteus as that was what he was used to.

Proteus by Labcenter:
Usable but too expensive for occasional/hobbyist use and not that good for the price, could not figure out how to make it work with multiple GNDs as it wanted to connect all component ground pins together, or get it to make projects with software (perhaps option not purchased) and some library components had terrible errors that could really mess things up.
Additionally Help/Tutorial files seemed to be either just wrong or not updated to coincide with changes in the software so could not be followed.

Design Spark PCB by RS Componets:
Appears to be identical to Easy PC in layout, operation and default libraries and is Free.

KiCad:
Tried it because it was the standard package being made available to undergrads at work so needed to take a look, hated it, could not get on with the general/library interface at all. 

Eagle/Fusion 360 by Autodesk:
Recently moved to this because is currently the standard being made available to undergrads at work. Too expensive for occasional/hobby use but as I recall some PCB fab houses use to have it for free download, not sure if that was the same Eagle but if so that may have change now.
Interface not too bad but has its quirks, uses more layers than I think it really needs to, which can make creating new parts a bit of a headache, but the integration with Mechanical CAD should be useful.
Also having to activate certain libraries to access the parts is a bit of a pain, probably done to save memory/disc space but if the part you need is not in the default activated libraries it is not easy to know which (if any) is the correct library to activate and I could not find an activate all option.

RGV250

Altium Designer £362 per month???, Ouch.

Bob

charliecoutas

I have used FreePCB for many years. It's no longer supported but I'm happy with it.

Charlie

John Lawton