News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Update

Started by gevv, Apr 27, 2022, 06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atomix

It can be made a separate group that can be edited by posts.

plugin -> https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=4033

Stephen Moss

Quote from: atomix on May 03, 2022, 10:13 AMI really ask you to leave the possibility of editing messages for the creator of the topic.

Otherwise, the size of attached files will be excessively increased and it will be impossible to update information in one place, otherwise users will have to look for information in parts on all pages of the topic.

On most forums on the Internet - editing the creator of the topic first message is the standard.
Some of the other forums I use also appear to have a time limit on editing although I am not sure if that is deliberate or not, immediate editing and delayed editing for up to a few hours is possible but definitely not after 24 hours, although on one subscribing appears to grant unlimited editing along with other perks.
With regards to excessive attachments as a result of not having unlimited editing, for something that is under development and is therefore likely to have constantly changing files perhaps it would be better to use something like Dropbox and just share the folder link, rather than attach the files to a post.

@gevv & @top204
the Black them on this forum is much nicer that the Yellow Text on Black of the previous one, the Blue text for forums link and White post text looks really good.

atomix

I need to correct the first post in my topic - https://protoncompiler.com/index.php/topic,907.0.html

And what should I do now?

top204

I have disabled the time limit, so you "should" be able to edit your original post.

atomix

Thank you very much.

keytapper

Quote from: top204 on May 10, 2022, 11:00 AMI have disabled the time limit
There might be a limit of one hour. Quite acceptable.
Ignorance comes with a cost

atomix

I am against any time limit.

Yasin

I'm against it too. But the information shared on the forums becomes anonymous in a short time. It's kind of public domain. But sometimes users can delete their messages when they get angry and leave a forum. Or, it changes the message content significantly and causes subsequent replies to lose their meaning. For example, when replies support the first message. When the content of the first message changes, perhaps the opinion of those who reply may also change. It is possible that such a restriction may have been made for these reasons.

towlerg

I pretty much agree with the previous post. Seems to me a good compromise might be that a post is editable until another is posted. 

top204

That is my opinion also Yasin.

I have removed the editing time for now, but I will be bringing it back, but editing will be able to be accomplished for a few hours, instead of the 15 minutes that it was set on.

We cannot leave editing on all the time. Any new files of updates etc, will need to be in a seperate thread, or I can set up a dedicated section on the forum for files that are updated regularly.

John Drew

I believe a 1 hour time limit would be the best compromise. After 1 hour users could just make another post.
My edits are usually within a few minutes when I see it doesn't read well or has typos.
John