News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Forum's future is at risk

Started by top204, Apr 22, 2022, 04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top204

Hello. I have just had this posted in the moderators area of the forum from Gevv, who kindly set up the forum on behalf of OG (RIP). I have no idea what to do?

QuoteHi,

The protoncompilers.com  is hosted by OG. ( :( )  expiration date 21.05.2022

I talked to his son, he will not deal with hosting.  (will not continue)

You need to find a new hosting.

I will do the migration and update

Any ideas?

joesaliba

Hi,

I would go for a new host and make a members area where one must pay a yearly fee of, say €10 to cover costs. This can be your host Les where you can also setup your website.

Regards

Joe

GDeSantis

I am OK to pay a yearly fee to cover costs to maintain the forum.

Regards

Gerald DeSantis

trastikata

Les, as I mentioned before the hosting you purchased from Namecheap offers a lot of possibilities.

This is the domain I registered for you www.positroncompilers.com and I redirected to your google site. I am still waiting for your confirmation to transfer this domain name to your account?

The hosting that you have from Namecheap also offers various forum boards that will be at your disposition. Just as a demo I created a forum boards under the previously mentioned domain on my hosting http://www.positroncompilers.com/forums/.

However I am just a basic user, someone else will have to do the set up and transfer from this forum "http://protoncompilers.com" to your hosting.

Oskar-svr

HELLO FRIEND COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE I CAN PAY ONE MORE YEAR I WANT TO COLLABORATE WITH THE CONSERVATION OF THE WEB PAGE

gevv

Hi,

There's one detail I've forgotten: Hostgator company shared server is problematic (mod security rules are too strict microcontroller codes prevent pages from opening or disrupt layout)

Looking for other companies.

gevv

Quote from: trastikata on Apr 22, 2022, 05:40 PMLes, as I mentioned before the hosting you purchased from Namecheap offers a lot of possibilities.

This is the domain I registered for you www.positroncompilers.com and I redirected to your google site. I am still waiting for your confirmation to transfer this domain name to your account?

The hosting that you have from Namecheap also offers various forum boards that will be at your disposition. Just as a demo I created a forum boards under the previously mentioned domain on my hosting http://www.positroncompilers.com/forums/.

However I am just a basic user, someone else will have to do the set up and transfer from this forum "http://protoncompilers.com" to your hosting.

I will move the current forum with all its content, the topics and files will not be lost, we will continue from where we left off.

@trastikata  Who owns the hosting?

@top204 it should be its own host for future problems

@top204   godaddy's products are good (we are using godaddy's deluxe package now) 

https://www.godaddy.com/en-uk/hosting/web-hosting  Sign up to the site and buy the deluxe or ultimate package. Ultimate is better and has SSL  (Connection with SSL is not secure problem solved)

no-ssl.png

trastikata

@gevv

I currently own the domain www.positroncompilers.com but I am still waiting confirmation from Les to transfer it to him.

The demo I posted is on my hosting, it was for demo purposes only.

I remember that Les recently purchased another domain name (Rosetta... something) and hosting from the same company (Namecheap) that I am using. So Les should have the same options as I do and Les (with your help you) should have the possibility to host the forum on his own hosting.

shantanu@india

Godaddy is very good. I'm having two domains with webhosting services from godaddy without any issues.
I hope it would be a windows based VPS(Virtual Private Server).
My godaddy domains are Cpanel linux.
"Ultimate" cost for 3 years can easily be divided amongst the senior forum members.
Regards
Shantanu

top204

I had forgotten I have the NameCheap host. :-)

Will NameCheap do gevv?

It is currently at "https://rosettamicro.com/" and gabi created the template for me, but I simply have not had time to fill in all the pieces and add extras to it and alter texts etc...

Many thanks for your comments. We have such a lovely group of people on this forum, I will not let it fail.

gevv

Quote from: top204 on Apr 23, 2022, 07:39 AMWill NameCheap do gevv?

Is hosting purchased? https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared/ If so, send me the cpanel information.   (user name, pass.)

JohnB

I also have PositronStudio.co.uk hosted by NetCom.  Happy to share if appropriate.
JohnB

CPR

Quote from: top204 on Apr 22, 2022, 04:32 PMHello. I have just had this posted in the moderators area of the forum from Gevv, who kindly set up the forum on behalf of OG (RIP). I have no idea what to do?

Any ideas?

Here's an altogether alternative suggestion. Just let it go. Time to look after yourself now. Tend your garden, plant things, mow the lawn. Enjoy a retirement & leave Positron to be as it is now. Positron is never going to become a big seller and you've already beaten yourself up enough already about it. Perhaps it's time for a change in what really matters?

keytapper

I praise the intent of Mr. Les, it's honorable. Unfortunately there's a scary trend that lead to make things at the producer home. Imaging Fusion360 or easyEDA.
So there might be a switch from Microchip to avoid the works for publishing MCU data and just give a web page to fill all data for a MCU and proceed to write a project source. In fact the MCC & Mplab is already an introduction to that.
Ignorance comes with a cost

top204

Unfortunately, that type of attitude is the common attitude of this age CPR. i.e. If it is too much bother or makes no money "get rid of it"!!!

With that type of attitude, nothing would ever get created and the world's population will become even more unintelligent than they are now. :-) It seems that the next generations, as a whole, are actually becoming less intelligent than previous generations, which is a first step to crumbling and doing nothing because someone else will do it for us, but we will take the credit (and the money). Or an elitist society where a few people know, or "make it up" if they do not know, and the rest treat the elites as gods who know everything. As has hapenend many, many times in human history.

That has never been my attitude and I will continue with a "good" product for as long as I can, and always learn to do something myself whenever possible. Once we move house and settle down, I am looking at making Positron for an Arm M4 device. I have studied the assembler code for them and their structure and they are actually quite easy to understand, and it will be like writing the compiler for the 16-bit devices again. One step at a time and then making the code produced tighter and tighter, and adding extra features for the peripherals that the device has.

JohnB

Positron on ARM would be brilliant.  Hope you manage to get the move in this year and can get on with it.

PS I have sent you a PM on Positron Studio.
JohnB

John Drew

I'm retired and moderately healthy. Part of keeping healthy is keeping brain and body exercised. Positron is an important part of my brain exercise. They say puzzles are good for us and my Positron projects certainly do this. Programming is part of my health regime and I imagine that this may be part of Les's after his brain injury.
"Use it or lose it" they say.
Another factor is the friendship on this forum.

I think that our web savvy people can sort out the forum. Gevv and others know what they are doing and if we kick in some cash. We can make it work.
John

Frizie

The fact that Positron will not become a "big-seller" is of course no reason to stop.
Positron is a top product.
Rolls-Royce is a top product but will also never become a "big-seller", would they then stop?  ::)
Of course not.

I've also done a few projects with Arduino but I don't like programming the C-like language with those parentheses and braces.
I much prefer the Positron compiler language, programming with it is fun  ;D
Positron is a part of my life that I enjoy very much.
I use it at work (in industry) and at home as a hobby.

So I hope the forum continues.
Thumbs up for Gevv  8)
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

shantanu@india

Quote from: CPR on Apr 23, 2022, 09:43 PMHere's an altogether alternative suggestion. Just let it go. Time to look after yourself now. Tend your garden, plant things, mow the lawn. Enjoy a retirement & leave Positron to be as it is now. Positron is never going to become a big seller and you've already beaten yourself up enough already about it. Perhaps it's time for a change in what really matters?
I beg to differ. Proton / Positron has been with us for the past 18 years and this one man has relentlessly and selflessly served us all. For us oldtimers it has always been a bestseller and would always remain that way!! Les is free to pursue whatever hobbies he might have but I'm quite sure that compiler development would always be his first priority.
Einstein used to play violin but that didn't distract him from thinking about physics...
Regards
Shantanu

GDeSantis

In this world, where anyone can be a publisher, there is a trend to the extreme – where those who want to stand out can opt for sensationalism and hyperbole over nuanced analysis.  Unfortunately, in this world page views are currency and heat is often more valued than light.

As for me, I never felt comfortable using assembler or C.  But, I love Positron BASIC and have successfully used it to develop a number of commercial products. 

Lastly, I very much appreciate Lester's efforts to listen to feedback and his work to improve Positron BASIC is a good thing.