News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Positron bug fixes. New Win 10 entry for each one ?

Started by CPR, Apr 17, 2022, 06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPR

I welcome all corrections/updates/bug fixes to the compiler. But is it necessary to create a new app entry for each one (see attached screen shot) I'm not sure whether this may be a "Win10 thing" or I suspect more down to the way your installer works Top204 ? As no other software updates I've had exhibit the same behaviour. I'm pointing this out only as should I ever decide to uninstall the compiler it's going to be a bit "interesting" going through each one of those entries one by one.

rick.curl

I don't think it's limited to Windows 10 or to Positron. I'm on Windows 8.1 and BOTH Proton and Positron have multiple entries.Positron-Proton.JPG

I think it's been that way for a while.  In my case it's not causing any problems.

-Rick

tumbleweed

Same on win7.
Basically, if you uninstall one, then uninstall them all to get rid of the bogus entries.

What's worse is that the uninstaller also wipes out almost ALL registry keys under HKCU\Software\MecaniqueUK,
so if you have other software from Mecanique like PicBasicPro/MicroCodeStudio, Swordfish, or Firewing it'll remove all those entries too!

If you have any of those packages, export all the registry keys before uninstalling PDS, and then merge them back in afterwards.

CPR

Quote from: tumbleweed on Apr 18, 2022, 08:23 PMSame on win7.
Basically, if you uninstall one, then uninstall them all to get rid of the bogus entries.

What's worse is that the uninstaller also wipes out almost ALL registry keys under HKCU\Software\MecaniqueUK,
so if you have other software from Mecanique like PicBasicPro/MicroCodeStudio, Swordfish, or Firewing it'll remove all those entries too!

If you have any of those packages, export all the registry keys before uninstalling PDS, and then merge them back in afterwards.

Sheesh, what a mess  :o

top204

Simple answer...... Don't install the correction updates and wait for the next "upgrade", which is a full installer. :-)

I disabled uninstall from them because they replace the compiler's existing files, so if one is uninstalled, the compiler will not work anymore, and I will get the blame!

There are a multitude of ways to remove the names from the registry, and they do no harm whatsoever to the machine. They are just texts held somewhere in the complex that is Windows.

CPR

Quote from: top204 on Apr 19, 2022, 09:02 AMSimple answer...... Don't install the correction updates and wait for the next "upgrade", which is a full installer. :-)

I've been installing the bug fixes as you release them, because they're posted as fixes and I'd like to have my installation "up-to-date" and working correctly?

QuoteThere are a multitude of ways to remove the names from the registry, and they do no harm whatsoever to the machine. They are just texts held somewhere in the complex that is Windows.

In which case, why have your installer place them there to begin with if they're unnecessary text entries? That doesn't make much sense to me? It just creates "clutter" The "upgrade" will, I assume be another separate entry?

Can you have a think about how you issue updates and bug fixes? I shudder at the thought of installing Positron on a new machine from an old "upgrade" and then having to find and go through each bug fix/update you've ever issued and I've had to download and save in order one-by one, just to keep up-to-date. Keeping your compiler up-to-date- and shifting it over to another machine will be an absolute pain in the a$$ -install-wise-as-it-is. Not withstanding all the unnecessary Win10 app entry clutter. IMHO.