News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

ESP 8266 external antenna

Started by shantanu@india, Mar 20, 2022, 06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shantanu@india

Hi,
Anyone can provide guidance in this topic? I've to put the esp inside a sheet metal box which is sure to shield the pcb antenna.
Regards
Shantanu

Giuseppe

Both ESP-05 and ESP-07 are prepared with connector for external antenna
I also forgot ESP-02

RayEllam

Many moons ago I cut the internal antenna track close to the esp chip PCB antenna track and soldered the external antenna between the cut track and antenna ground, it worked but I know nothing about the RF black magic of impedance matching 😎

shantanu@india

Thanks Rayellam.. same with me!!
I'll take no chances and use a plastic enclosure
Regards
Shantanu

JonW

Be careful as some plastics can be very lossy.  You could use a micro coax and a printed antenna.  Cut the antenna trace on the PCB and strip back the coax, get the coax gnd as close to the launch point as possible.

Alternatively use the module with UFL connector and but an external antenna

keytapper

Quote from: shantanu@india on Mar 25, 2022, 04:19 PMThanks Rayellam.. same with me!!
I'll take no chances and use a plastic enclosure
The rule for tropical zones is to avoid plastic enclosures, the plastic may disintegrate after few months exposition to sunshine and weather. The UV concentration will cause such disaster, as happened to my autogate box.
Ignorance comes with a cost

shantanu@india

Thanks for mentioning that.. I know I cannot use cheap plastics like polypropylene /polyurethane etc.
Polycarbonate/ABS/SMC/FRP and lot of other small outdoor category IP66 boxes are available nowadays. I have to take my pick from them...
Regards
Shantanu

Yasin

Whether the box price is cheap or expensive has nothing to do with directly UV resistant. A simple ABS box will not be damaged by the sun for many years if UV additive is used during the manufacturing process. If you do not manufacture the box you will use, or if you do not have a chance to intervene in the production phase. You can paint with UV resistant paint.
Phoenix Contact brand has very nice UV resistant products. But it's unnecessarily expensive.
Best regards.

shantanu@india

Quote from: Yasin on Mar 27, 2022, 07:01 PMWhether the box price is cheap or expensive has nothing to do with directly UV resistant. A simple ABS box will not be damaged by the sun for many years if UV additive is used during the manufacturing process. If you do not manufacture the box you will use, or if you do not have a chance to intervene in the production phase. You can paint with UV resistant paint.
Phoenix Contact brand has very nice UV resistant products. But it's unnecessarily expensive.
Best regards.
Thanks Yasin. I'm using Phoenix Contact boxes in bulk and they are quite reasonably priced here
Regards
Shantanu