News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Circuit diagram drawing software

Started by charliecoutas, Feb 10, 2021, 01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliecoutas

Can anybody recommend a good circuit-drawing software please? I need to produce an "official" cct diag for a customer.

Charlie

rick.curl

Hi Charlie-
Good to see you on the new forum!

I really like the schematic capture part of Diptrace.  You can download a 30 day trial of the full version for free, or you can get a permanent free version that is limited to 300 pins.  The best part of Diptrace is the PCB layout, though. Learning curve for both schematic capture and PCB is very short. If you need a schematic symbol that's not in the library (rare) it's a breeze to create one.

-Rick

charliecoutas

Thanks Rick, good to see you too. That sounds interesting, I'll give it a good look.
Thanks
Charlie

flosigud

I recently tried KiCAD. It is free and available for windows and Linux. I had previously used Eagle PCB and the transition was easy. KiCad is easier. 

TimB

There are a lot of good schematic / PCB design tools out there.

If I were starting from scratch I would look at easyeda as there are so many parts already defined, its free, can be online and if you pick the right parts jlpcb will assemble the PCB (for free!) as well as make it from the files.

I also recommend   https://www.snapeda.com/ to find the foot prints you want.

I'm still using Proteus and Areas by labcenter electronics. Know it, like it and see no reason to leave it. It is an investment though.

Tim

John Drew

I use KiCAD. Free, easy to use and all on your computer. No cloud needed.
I'd tried a number of free packages but didn't persevere, they just seemed a bit unfriendly. On the other hand I clicked with KiCAD quickly. It's so easy to make a circuit, I'll never go back to hand drawing.
It's quite a powerful package while free.
John

Sommi

I use Autodesk Fusion 360 as free CAD, subscription is free for 1 year for non commercial users and can be renewed. They incorporate schematic and PCB design in the latest version.

Sommi
KISS - keep it simple and stupid

Dompie

EasyEDA (click) in team-mode so I can use all my stuf on different computers. it's completely free.

Johan

charliecoutas

Thanks guys, it looks as though KiCad is a popular choice.

Stephen Moss

I could not get on with KiCAD & I don't like Proteus either.

Eagle (Autodesk) is good (I think there is still a free version of kind), but it can be hard to find things in the library and there are so many layers to deal with when creating a new component, you probably have to be using it every day to get the best from it. I think it is definitely geared more toward use by full time design engineers, but for basic schematic and PCB creation stuff you can pick it up easily enough if you have done that before.

I quite like DesignSpark, which is free but that may be because it is virtually identical to EasyPC which I used for years, it is easy to pick up and quite good if you don't need to do anything beyond a two player PCB. I am not sure what the base library is like now compared to other products as I have been forced to use Proteus for a few years.

ken_k

I agree with Rick, Diptrace is very good, I have used it for years, well worth the money, as Rick stated the free version may be ok for your application.

RGV250

Hi,
Eagle 7.7.0 is the free version for non commercial use, the only problem is it nags you telling it is out of date. I have a book by Simon Monk that guides you through where to get it and install it and then a couple of projects. I am only half way through but it seems straight forward.
I have not had issues finding components as I am following the book, also not got to the creating components yet.

Bob

keytapper

Kicad has a well maintained library. They are embarking for the simulation, but I presume is just a spice library primary for analog devices.
Ignorance comes with a cost

John Drew

G'day charlie,
If you get stuck send me an email and I'll help. Alternatively if you have free international phone calls I'll send you a phone number via email.
Cheers from Oz,
John

Fred

Quote from: charliecoutas on Feb 10, 2021, 01:20 PMCan anybody recommend a good circuit-drawing software please? I need to produce an "official" cct diag for a customer.

Charlie

Many software to draw an electronic circuit diagram, try to use a sprint and splan from Abacom, you need to purchase a license

Craig

Hi Charlie

I like Diptrace it is excellent and you can use Snapeda as Tim mentioned or LibraryLoader to pull parts straight in with their Standard and 3D Footprints if the part is missing or very simply making your own. It has very nice Video Tutorials which will help you get going!
Regards
Craig