News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

My first 24F devlopment board

Started by m.kaviani, Jan 30, 2022, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m.kaviani

Hi all,
I am planning to design my first 24f series device (PIC24FJ256GB106) in the pdf file, I will gladly so to know your
opinion about that.
my last design https://protoncompiler.com/index.php/topic,190.0.html done.

what could be good to design a little and more efficient board?

best regards,
Mahmood,

top204

Consider using a dsPICxx33CK device instead of a PIC24F type.

The PIC24F types are very good, but also quite slow compared to other PIC24 and dsPIC33 types. The dsPICxx33CK types operate up to 100 MIPS, if required!

With the speed of the dsPICxx33CK types, a whole lot is possible and they seem to be less expensive than a lot of the other 16-bit devices.

m.kaviani

I didn't work with dsPIC. is it possible to program it with PICKIT3?
of course, I did check my pik3 software and saw they are on the list but I am not sure.
i am choosing "dsPIC33FJ256MC710" 100 pin without USB.( i have not many choices).

top204

Not all dsPIC33 devices will run at 100 MIPS. Only the newer CK types. But the dsPIC33 types are a lot faster than the PIC24 types and have some nice peripherals built into them, as well as the DSP mechanism that allows software filters to be created, among other things.

A few users are now using the dsPICxxCK types and have found them really nice. Some have one, or two, 12-bit DACs built into them as well, which can be made into a single 24-bit DAC with a bit of simple firmware and a couple of resistors. :-)

I do not use the PICkit programmers, so I cannot answer your question.

Frizie

I can advise you PICkit plus, to upgrade your PICkit3 programmer:
Click for website from pickit plus
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

charliecoutas

QuoteSome have one, or two, 12-bit DACs built into them as well, which can be made into a single 24-bit DAC with a bit of simple firmware and a couple of resistors. :-)

Les, I can say for sure that although the dsPIC33CK256MP505 mentions three DACs, only one is actually available to use as a freestanding DAC. The others are built into some weird system that I don't understand and cannot be brought out to the outside world.

But these devices are fantastic, and fast. I am well pleased with mine. I am using two ADCs and these are also very fast. If you are looking for a fast, 100MIP chip with some useful peripherals, this is for you. (For some reason it only has one 16 bit timer, T1)

Charlie

top204

I'll check out the DACs Charlie, when I get some time.

I noticed that as well with them concerning the Timer. It was a bit of a surprise for them to have only one timer, when other 16-bit devices have multiple 16-bit and 32-bit Timers, but that's Microchip for you. :-)

tumbleweed

On the 33CK they've merged the general purpose timers with the CCP modules, and are now called SCCP and MCCP.
In addition to TMR1, there are 9 SCCP/MCCP modules available, with 16 or 32 bit timers.

charliecoutas

Thanks. I've had a very quick look, is it possible to use the timers without anything else being involved (CCP for example)?

Charlie

tumbleweed

You should be able to Charlie.

There's a General Purpose Timer mode, which you setup using CCPxCON1L
Timer mode is selected when CCSEL = 0 and MOD[3:0] = 0000

Yasin

I guess PERIPHERAL TRIGGER GENERATOR (PTG) to create extra timers trigger needs to be used.

charliecoutas

Thanks. They don't seem to make it very easy do they?

Yasin

We have a proverb. It's easier for a camel to jumping a ditch. It looks like a chore  :) . Maybe it can be useful for making common interrupt by combining different states.

top204

I've just taken a quick look at the PTG. Wowwwwww!!! Could they have made it more compex if they had actually tried to make it more complex? I still do not understand this mentality that some companies have of changing things that have worked "perfectly" for decades, and do not require any changes whatsoever. Then the changes that are made make things worse than they originally were!

We come across this type of thing with most things in life now, for some inexplicable reason. With some organisations, I know it is to try and justify being in a job that is not actually required anymore, so change for the sake of change makes the upper-regions of the origanisation think they are still needed. We all know the large state origanisation that statement is about don't we? :-)

Giuseppe MPO

Probably in Microchip, which is a big company, they have more working groups, each with its own procedures. At the company level, they have project packages for the development of new microcontrollers, then everyone puts their own.
It's bad that a big company doesn't have standardized basics and help customers develop with their products.

m.kaviani

finally finished this section, please leave your suggestion to improve it.
I cant extend the board from one side.
which device may be good to be inside the board. Modbus, Canbus, DAC....etc.

tumbleweed

Quote from: top204 on Feb 01, 2022, 04:57 PMI've just taken a quick look at the PTG. Wowwwwww!!! Could they have made it more complex if they had actually tried to make it more complex?
Yeah, the sequencer inside that PTG is a real beast!

Luckily that's not needed for the timer modules.

Yasin

Dear @tumbleweed , If we take the dsPIC33CK256MP206. IEC0.1 = Interrupt control for T1IE timer1. IFS0.1 = flag for T1IF timer1. But there is no TxIE and TxIF for other timers. How to interrupt without using PTG for other timers?

tumbleweed

I've seen people complain about the datasheets and documentation for the dsPIC33CH/CK parts, and this is probably a good example.

Since the CCP and Timer peripherals have been merged into one Capture/Compare/PWM/Timer peripheral,
look in datasheet section 7.0 Interrupt Controller. There you'll find two interrupts for the CCPx peripherals,
one for the timer (ie CCT1F) and another for the capture/compare (ie CCP1IF). There are flags for each of the 9 CCPx modules.
All of the old TMR registers are now CCP registers.

There are more details in the individual dsPIC33/PIC24 FRM, Capture/Compare/PWM/Timer (MCCP and SCCP) manual -
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/30003035b.pdf

There's a much better description of the new module, esp the Timer mode operation and block diagram.
There are a lot of details in the FRM manuals that aren't in the base device datasheet... you really need both.

m.kaviani

I made this topic for my new dspic board. what are you doing friends?