News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

PIC with CP2102

Started by shantanu@india, Jan 24, 2022, 08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shantanu@india

Hi,
Has anyone integrated the Silicon Labs CP2102 with a PIC ? The Silab drivers are available in Windows & the device appears under Com ports in device manager. I have never seen any communication problems with Silab chips.PID/VID are freely programmable in EEPROM & royalty free.
Maybe this is the easiest way to integrate any PIC with Windows/Linux etc. @ 1.5 dollars.
Got the idea while working with NodeMCU
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.silabs.com%2Fdocuments%2Fpublic%2Fdata-sheets%2FCP2102-9.pdf&clen=2172800&chunk=true
Regards
Shantanu

JonW

Yeah I use them all the time, cheaper and smaller than the FTDI and work flawlessly.  Normally run comms at 115200 baud and never had any problems

m.kaviani

Hi,
I have a module of it and use it to communicate PIC micro on the breadboard. it works fine on win7.

shantanu@india

Yeah, but I was talking about the bare device (SMD) coexisting on the same PCB with the PIC. Can be configured as USB bus powered device capable of providing 3.3V@100mA to the PIC and other peripherals.
Regards
Shantanu

JonW

I place them on the same PCB with USB-C and Pic all the time, ensure the inputs are ESD protected and poly fuse

CP2102.JPG

shantanu@india

This looks great.
Do you design your own PCB's?
Regards
Shantanu

JonW

Yeah always have.  Do a lot of RF and Microwave designs to 60GHz so you have to do all the design work including the PCB as at these frequencies microns make a difference.   
This particular project was done using Easy Eda as its only very low volume and JLC make the boards and do the SMT.

shantanu@india

Your level of expertise in RF communications seems very impressive John.
In which area of communication engineering do you specialize, if I'm allowed to ask..
Regards
Shantanu

JonW

Prolifically Low Noise Block (LNB) and Transceiver design for Satellite TV and data over satellite markets but develop a lot of other custom RF and microwave hardware for many markets.  The above picture is a dual tracking RF Synth controlled via USB for use in Labs or for testing other products, this one is only to 6.4GHz but we do them to 30GHz