News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

PDS Clean Up by JohnB

Started by Frizie, Feb 07, 2021, 11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frizie

A useful tool from (again) John Barrat that removes automatically the extensions (like *.ASM, *.LST, *.MCI, *.PBE) you have checked  :P .
For example, if you are only interested in the HEX file, the rest can be removed after compilation.
This way you only keep the BAS and the HEX extensions in your folder and it remains clear  ;D .
The deletion can be set so that this only happens when you close Proton.

Do you also want to keep the *.ASM extension, for example?
Simple: uncheck ASM, it will not be removed.

8) Frizie
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

FiremanTR

The best thing I know is that I know nothing
__SOCRATES__

keytapper

Probably there could be a way to exclude to create these files, but it may not be handled by compiler. I suppose that are generated by the MPasm.exe .
Ignorance comes with a cost

Frizie

Hmmm, I am still running under Windows 7, and it works great.  :)
Maybe this plug-in no longer works under Windows 10 and is that the cause.  :(
I can't test this (yet), but this would be a shame.  :'(
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

top204

The files are required by the IDE and for simulators, so deleting them may cause problems.

The .pbe is created by the compilers, and is what the IDE uses to give the amount of Flash memory and RAM used and any errors or messages etc... So deleting it means, when the IDE is exited and re-established, "ALL" information concerning the file's compilation will be lost until a new compilation takes place. Very wasteful of time for the sake of a single file! The latest compilers delete any erroneous .pbe files for .inc files etc, and only keep the .pbe file that relates to the main program because the other errors, warnings and hints are in there as well.

The .asm file is used to show people what the compiler has created, so it is "very" important to keep so they can see exactly what the compiler does. I have made the assembler code as easy to understand and follow as is possible, so for anyone wanting to learn a bit more about the microcontroller they are using, the Asm file is a must because it shows the BASIC statements, then the Asm code that is produced for them, with extreme clarity. It also shows all the variables, and where they are located within the microcontroller, again, with extreme clarity.

The .lst file is used by Isis for simulations.

The .mci holds the cursor position etc, within the IDE, so if it is deleted, the position within a code listing will be lost and it will just go to the top of the listing. To me, this is very important because if I was changing code in a file, but the changes made some anomalies, I want to go exactly back to where I was, not have to try and remember and find it again.

Whenever I create code, I create a new folder with a relative name, and all the files required for compilation are placed in that folder. So all the files the compiler produces are held within that single folder as well. No issues with messy, bloated, general folders because they are all in their own folder, and all have a meaning.

keytapper

Great explanation.
For archiving I just keep the source(s), hoping to be able to recompile the next time it will be used.
Many times I look at the assembled file. In some case that result is used to give me ideas for optimization. Even the listing file make sense to see how the includes are fitted and linked.

I use some different tools, so the IDE is not really attractive as it seems. So in a Linux environment I just call the compiler from a console, by the help of wine emulator.
Ignorance comes with a cost