News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Planning to buy a new machine

Started by Yves, Nov 16, 2021, 12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yves

Hello All,

I'm planning to buy a new PC laptop in near future. I will have to go to the pain of configure all my existing programs. Concerning Positron I can't remember if I had a key number to acquire the license. I saved the initial program and all the updates since I purchased and upgraded to Positron. I think the updates are just corrective and can't be used as full install but that wont be a problem if I have to install them one by one. Maybe there is a better way to transpose all my programs from a old machine to a newer one without having to claim licenses and all these hurdles. My present system is  Windows 10 Pro the new machine may well be windows 11 ::) .  Many thanks in advance on your suggestions to make the transfer as painless as possible.

Regards,

Yves   
Yves

top204

You can zip the ProtonIDE folder and transfer that to the new machine. Then create a desktop link to the IDE within the folder. Also, zip the PDS folder from the users folder, to keep the libraries and samples etc...

Your software registration will move with the folder because it is ID based, not machine based.

It is always a big task to transfer from one machine to another, and I have tried the Windows transfer routines, but it got so far then complained and stopped, but after a few hours of waiting. :-)

charliecoutas

Les, Yves mentions updating in increments of the Positron updates. Am I right that the "latest" update contains all the previous updates as well? In other words if I miss an update, and update using the latest, it will include the one I missed?

Charlie

top204

Sorry. I missed that.

Yes. The corrections updates have all the previous updates in them as well. So version 4.0.1.2 - 1.1.0.6 has all the corrections from when I first started creating the free updates.

However, zipping the existing ProtonIDE folder will keep the compiler as it is, and if it was updated, so will be the compiler on the new machine. I've never liked all of this messing around on Windows where files are placed here, there and everywhere, so I keep as much as possible in the compiler's folder. The only files that cannot be kept in there are the files that are written. i.e. The PDS folder in the Users directory.

Yves

Many thanks to all for your help.
I will zip the Proton IDE folder that seems the easiest things to do. Thanks again.

Regards,

Yves
Yves

charliecoutas

Yves, I'm sure there are a few of us who would like to know how you get on with Windows11.

top204

Because the software registration is personalised, the method of zipping the file is OK, because if a user gives their zipped folder to others and it appears on the internet etc, the original purchaser of the compiler is known. :-)

The software registration helps both the uer and myself, to a certain extent.

JohnB

I have been running with Windows11 for a few weeks now, Most of what I can see is cosmetic, Positron Studio and Positron Compilers are working fine and my development environment is unchanged.  The whole thing is a little underwhelming.
JohnB

charliecoutas

I saw somewhere that you have to be logged in to a Microsoft account to use Win11. Is that true, and what if you don't have Internet connectivity at the time?

Charlie

John Lawton

More of a problem you need a TMP 2.0 chip on your motherboard.

charliecoutas

It seems to me that Microsoft have very carefully arranged for "TPM" to be something that can cause a great deal of trouble. Here's a short extract from an article by PC World:

"And on the off-chance you want a physical module to bypass needing your recovery key for an encrypted drive after a CPU upgrade, stop right there. Having a discrete TPM doesn't sidestep this kind of headache—you can trigger the need for a recovery key even after motherboard firmware changes. Regardless of what kind of TPM you have, you should always have a backup of your recovery key on hand. If it's for BitLocker, don't rely on just the auto-backup saved to the Microsoft account linked to Windows 11. Also keep a copy on a USB drive as well. That said, the safest way to avoid locking yourself out of your data after hardware changes is to decrypt the drive first, then re-encrypt it again after you're done."

Source: https://www.pcworld.com/article/545941/you-shouldnt-buy-a-tpm-for-windows-11-heres-why.html