News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

28 pin SSOP Development board

Started by JonW, Oct 05, 2021, 04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top204

Here's a PC program I was in the process of modifying for the Positron8 and 16 boards.

It worked fully with the Positron8 board using the PIC18F27K42 device and the firmware I posted earlier.

I can't remember if I changed the file name from "piccodes.ini" to "Devices.ini" in the source code, so they are both contained in the zip.

top204

Unfortunately, the good work by Atomix does have some problems that actually stops programs from compiling, so please remove it from the ProtonIDE directory.

The way it is implemented is not a good way and it needs to be made into a plugin for an IDE, and not actually part of the compiler.

Sorry Atomix, but a third party program that interferes with a user's program in the background cannot be accepted, because it is actualy stoping program from working. They still compile, but they do not operate correctly.

JonW

Thanks Les

Your program worked first time.  If you email me or PM me your address I will send you some of the little dev boards with a 27k on it as they have arrived

Cheers

Jon

JonW

Just added the bootloader to the programmer option on Positron Studio.  So fast to compile and flash the devices!
It would be really nice if Positron studio could pass the location of the Hex automatically?

Jon

JohnB

Can you explain what you want and I will try am add it in
JohnB

JonW

I have added the bootloader program as programmer in Positron Studio and it works perfectly on compile and invokes the bootloader but if the project is changed then you need to manually alter the location of the hex file in the bootloader program. Its no big issue but I do think this bootloader program should be included in the positron studio as standard as its so easy to use.  I think it can be done as the location of the hexfile the bootloader points too is located in the config.ini file in the bootloader directory so you would have to edit the config.ini file with the path of the compiled hex file prior to launching the bootloader app. 

I always tend to use a terminal to debug code and still use the serial communicator from Mechanique and have added this to the tools menu but it would be nice if you can assign a button to open whatever tool you want to invoke or a drop down like the programmer has to select the tool and run it quickly rather than having to navigate through the tools menu.

Personally I think it should have been sold rather than given away (Les is very generous) as some bootloaders and associated Gui are being sold for hundreds of pounds. 

J

top204

The PC program has a command line interface so the HEX file's location can be passed to it, as well as the Auto directive to automatically find the serial com port it is attached too:

Positron8_Loader.exe 18F27K42_Test.hex Auto

JonW

Sent you a gift through paypal Les for my use of the bootloader and Gui (From Rawgub). 

Cheers

Jon

top204

Many thanks Jon. I cannot put into words how much a kind gesture means to me these days. At one time, I used to take life for granted, but when something happens that actually changes a person's life, appreciation and kindness is amplified and means so much more, and, unfortunately, past foolishness gets the better of a person.

JonW

No Problem, I still suggest you take it off the public forum and sell it. 

What about compiling a custom loader program with a company or users name and the option for the loader to be tied to the specific bootloader source?  Just make some money from the work you have put into it.  I wouldn't hesitate in buying purchasing it, maybe add a terminal tab for debug too?

J