News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Positron Studio Update

Started by JohnB, Jul 29, 2021, 08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atomix

JohnB

I don't understand what you are saying. I assume you are referring to the Tool bar button - Add Code Folding region. That is exactly what it is supposed to be doing.  You can manually set up additional code folding regions and you can remove code folding regions. 

I cannot see what showing or hiding the gutter has to do with it.

That being said, I don't really like the way it behaves when you enable/disable code folding, i.e. it jumps to the right when you enable code folding and back to he left when you disable it.  I will see if I can get that changed.
JohnB

atomix

May be use ttexteditor component. He is free and powerful

JohnB

It would require a huge amount of work to change the underlying editor.
I would rather get the existing control up to standard, in my view there is not much wrong with it.

BTW The next release will have a Pin button in the title bar of the tool windows.  With this you can either Pin it to the side of the app where it will appear as a tab or unpin it where it appear as normal.  If you place the mouse over the Pinned tab the tool window will slide out, move the mouse away it will slide back.  I think that addresses your screen space issue.

JohnB

atomix

Thanks.

Then it can still be possible to make this panel disabled.

Stephen Moss

Quote from: atomix on Nov 09, 2021, 07:47 AMi need more space for edit code
I had a look and with the standard layout I can get 196 characters on a line (Courier New, size 8) which would normally be more than enough. Perhaps you should consider...
1) Using shorter variable names
2) Not try to fit so much into a single line of code
3) Use the Line continuation character to continue the code on the next line where you can see it.
4) Reduce the font size
Quote from: JohnB on Nov 09, 2021, 07:14 PMI cannot see an easy way to indent the start of the editing area but I will look into the editor code to see if there is way.
It is automatically indented when code folding is applied to make space for displaying the code folding sections, perhaps there is a way of utilising that indentation somehow so the space for displaying the code folding regions is there even when there is no code actual folding regions.

JohnB

@Stephen Moss I have looked into doing that and have delved into the TMS Code.  Code folding seems to be spread all over the place so making changes will carry some risk.  Alternatively I could look at forcing a space character at the start of each line.
JohnB

atomix

Quote from: Stephen MossReduce the font size

My vision is bad, so I have to do a big font size.

JohnB

@atomix

PM me with an email address and I will send you a link to a version which support Pins on the Tool windows
JohnB

JohnB

I have published a new version 2.0.2.14 with 2 small changes:

Pin Buttons - On the title bar of each tool window is a Pin button, you can now unPin the tool windows so that they minimise and slide to the side of the application.  If you hover over the side tab, the windows will slide out again. Pin it by clicking on the Pin.

List File - Added the ability to view a .lst file in the IDE.  The file is highlighted to Positron.  To access it Ctrl+O and navigate to the file.
JohnB

atomix

I run positron studio and then close, show error window.

My sustem win 7 x64

JohnB

Can you translate the error please.
JohnB

kcsl

John, have installed your latest release and all looking good so far.
Just an observation... when you save (either from the tool bar or menu), a white empty box appears over the source code display at the last location of the cursor. It doesn't appear to do any harm.

Also, how about putting a link on your "about form" to your webpage; possibly specifically the download page. Would make it easier to check for the current version.

Excellent job though... well done.

There's no room for optimism in software or hardware engineering.

atomix

The program has been terminated

JohnB

@atomix The only change I made from the version I sent you earlier is that the Pin states are saved and restored on restart.
I'll take a look at this but I do not have a Win 7 machine.  I will try it out on a Win 7 Virtual Machine but that wont have the latest Win 7 updated since it is no longer supported

@kcsl I can't repeat your white box when saving on my PC maybe its the same issue that @atomix has.
Your suggestion for a link to Downloads is a good idea, I will see what I can do.
JohnB

tumbleweed

I also get a crash with 2.0.2.14 using win7 x64
Open the IDE, and File | Exit, I get an error box with "PositronStudio has stopped working"

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: PositronStudio.exe
  Application Version: 2.0.2.14
  Application Timestamp: 619746f9
  Fault Module Name: PositronStudio.exe
  Fault Module Version: 2.0.2.14
  Fault Module Timestamp: 619746f9
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 0000000000010309
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: efe2
  Additional Information 2: efe269ea82cea1a45fb69ee0e115c320
  Additional Information 3: 021c
  Additional Information 4: 021c0312fdf3b89f9ba01e04121d254f

When I select "Close the program", a second error box pops up:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: PositronStudio.exe
  Application Version: 2.0.2.14
  Application Timestamp: 619746f9
  Fault Module Name: PositronStudio.exe
  Fault Module Version: 2.0.2.14
  Fault Module Timestamp: 619746f9
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 000000000000fe2f
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 0133
  Additional Information 2: 0133767da2a3d4366d92ddf3c3edb1b7
  Additional Information 3: 13b1
  Additional Information 4: 13b1971c88a82033e8d80a8141548145

Falling back to 2.0.2.13 and all works

JohnB

I have withdrawn the update, it seems to be a win 7 issue.
JohnB

John Lawton

QuoteI can't repeat your white box when saving on my PC maybe its the same issue that @atomix has.

Hi John,
I've been getting this issue too for a couple of versions on my (sorry) Win 7 machine.

John

diebobo

Hi John,

Some "issues" to report, perhaps already mentioned by others. In that case, sorry ! :) I've made a screen capture for clarity : https://youtu.be/zpAeTQ6iI1A

- When scrolling certain code / text / something the scrolling is verrrrrrrry slow. At that same moment my CPU load increases big time, 1 thread though. Clearly seen in my demo. Can't indentify when / why its happening, even small pieces of code can really slow down at specific pieces of the code.
- When scrolling the screen the text is flicker free ( when not above problem ) but the blue lines for example on the side which is marking start and end of proc is not. Its like if that part of the screen gets a CLS command and then the brackets/ lines are redrawn and that can be seen as flicker.. I know it's a minor thingy but i can get irritated if things which can bee smooth and flickerless are not ( it's prob just me, but have to ask :) )
- Can there become a option the automaticly save include files when compile starts ? When i alter an included file i get a prompt for saving that include when project compiling starts.
- At 1 Min 17 in the videa you can see my mouse pointing at grey arrow like icons pointing down.. What are they ? Or are for ?

Windows 10 / 64Bit
2.02.13 Positron Studio

JohnB

@diebobo I have scrolled with the block lines enabled on pretty large files, but perhaps not quite as long as the file you are using. 

It's useful to understand how block lines are implemented.  The block lines are painted in the OnAfterPaint event in the editor. I then have to take the top visible line and parse the code from that point on, testing each line to see if its been folded and adjusting the positioning  of the block lines accordingly. This generates a list of all the visible block lines which are then painted onto the control's canvas. This has to happen every time the screen is repainted during a scroll.

Question - Does the slow scrolling occur even when block lines are turned off?

I parse the file from the top visible line to the end of the file.  It may be possible to speed up the painting by only parsing as far as the end of the last visible end point but it would be helpful to know for sure if the block line painting is the cause of the slow scrolling.

I also could delay the painting until the scrolling has stopped, I think this is how the FineLine IDE handles it.  I have noticed that code folding can also slow painting down but you don't appear to have that enabled. 

I have passed my blockline paint source code to the author of the editor control and am hoping that it could be integrated into the editor control at some time in the future.  If it can be integrated into the editors paint routine I would only have to parse the code when the text has actually been changed.

I will look to adding an option to automatically save all include files before a compile.
JohnB