News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Positron Studio Update

Started by JohnB, Jul 29, 2021, 08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnB

One thing I would like to stress here is that Positron Studio is very much a project based application.  If you have a project which uses a number of include files you should be using project manager to get the best out of the IDE. When you use project manager the IDE understands that individual include files are associated with the project and builds a single database of all the files referenced in the project.  This means that switching between pages doesn't require rebuilding the database and the result is a much snappier highlighter and code explorer.
JohnB

JohnB

Quote from: JONW on Apr 05, 2023, 08:54 AMDoes the same for me John.  Opens the files but then comes up with the same violation
Is the the new version I posted at 08:22 ?
JohnB

JonW

Apologies John, tried it again and it works, I must have clicked on the older download.  V2.03 build 12.
If you drag the tabs it still does it (not that I drag them anyway)

JohnB

Sorry to keep posting updates but as I cannot replicate all the problems here I can only go on your feedback.  I think I have found the possible cause of hanging when closing the application.  Here is a new version.  It also close projects more quickly
JohnB

John Lawton

Hi John,

don't apologise, you're chasing down bugs which is very helpful to all users.

John L

dionbrewington

JohnB I appreciate all your hard work on this.  I tried the new version this morning and I cannot break it so far.  My access violations are gone.  I can load and exit files without issues and no more hangs on exiting the app.  Good work!   :)

JohnB

Glad to hear it.  There are a couple of minor things which have stopped working as a result of these changes so I will reinstate these and hopefully will be able to release a full install.
JohnB

JohnB

This version uses a different method of switching between pages and hopefully resolves the access violations users were getting when opening files and switching between pages.  Its been quite a far reaching change but from testers experience and my own as a user it does seem to be more stable.

This update also includes a working print service for text files.  It does not support PDF printing.

Other changing include export to PDF and RFT files and other minor fixes.

Download the Positron Studio Installer.

Once again please report to me any problems you experience with this version of Positron Studio.
JohnB

Pepe

If I open a .bas file the first time without having compiled and click on the fuses tab I get this error

JohnB

Thanks, this one I can repeat here so I will get on to it.
Is this the same error you were reporting last time, I don't think you mentioned it was when no previous compile.
JohnB

JohnB

Found it - leftover from the original ProtonIDE plugin code

Download exe from here

Please let me know if that solves the issue.
JohnB

Pepe

I can't test it on W8.1 32-bit

JohnB

JohnB

Pepe

Thank you, now works correctly.
But is it correct that you do not update the current configuration that the .bas file has in the fuse window?

device = 12F508
'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'**** Added by Fuse Configurator ****
' Use the Fuses Tab to change these settings

Config XT_OSC, WDT_OFF, CP_ON, MCLRE_OFF

'**** End of Fuse Configurator Settings ****
'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JohnB

NO it should have updated the fuse configurator - I'll look into it tomorrow.
JohnB

JohnB

This fuses problem has been around since 2021 yet no one has reported it.
I haven't been into the Fuse Config code for a couple of years, it will take me some time to get back into it as its pretty complex. - please be patient.
JohnB

Pepe

Ok, take all the time you need, it's not essential.

JohnB

I have produced a new version which fixes a couple of annoying things:

1 Errors not being displayed after a compile without switching away from the current page.
2 Programmers not being updated until the app is rebooted.

Here is a link to the updated app

These are just the executable files not an install. 
Save the original PositronStudio.exe, select the file according to your OS and replace it with the appropriate file renamed back to PositronStudio.exe.

When I have finished my current PIC project I will revisit Positron Studio for a more comprehensive update.
JohnB

Stephen Moss

Has something changed with the fuse configurator, or is it my bad memory?
I am sure it used to produce Assembler outputs for all devices as that was my preferred option, but now it only appears to do so for older devices such as 10F200 and 16F73, but not later devices such as the 18F4550. 

JohnB

I haven't made any changes - I get the information for the 8 bit devices from 8bit_device.info which is installed with PDS.  Looking at the file the latest file is dated 6/1/2020 so its not very up to date.  I had always assumed Les would always supply the latest version of the file when he updates the compiler.  If you have a recent version of MPASM does it come with that?

I have just downloaded MPLABX which I will install and see if it appears in that installation.
JohnB