Lithium backed (ZEROPOWER SRAM) SRAM in DIP pinout ICs - postage only

Started by trastikata, Jul 24, 2021, 02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trastikata

Hi all,

I have bunch of lithium backed SRAM in DIP sockets, which has never been used. I've got it from my old job after sitting for years on the shelves as old stock. If someone is interested, let me know. 

NVRAM.JPG

top204

I remember buying similar SRAM devices back in the 1990s so I could emulate EPROM attached to my 8-bit computer. They had coin cells sealed in them and were made by Maxim. :-)

They were great devices, but I made the mistake of storing them in foil so they would not pickup static, and forgot they had internal batteries, so they all died on me because the batteries were shorted. How stupid was that of me?

I still used them by removing the SRAM and having an external coin cell power them. :-)

John Drew

Good morning all,
Do you think the batteries are any good?
The devices were used in old computers, packet radio modems and some satellite tracking models in ham radio. The batteries are now dying after twenty/thirty years or so. The standard cure is to drill a hole in the right spot and solder two wires for a cell mounted on top.
I'll check with my friends who were doing the mods and see if they would benefit from your devices.
John

trastikata

Hello all,

the NVRAM has never been used but I don't know if the Lithium batteries are still good. I was looking through the datasheets and it seems the batteries are completely insulated from the outside, thus the only cause for discharge could be self-discharging.

I couldn't find any info how to determine the manufacturing year, but I think the company bought the NVRAM about 12y ago, the battery's life is given as 10 years data retention. I remember reading somewhere that there is circuit inside which insulates the battery until first use, but can't confirm it.

Regards.

towlerg

Isn't such a waste the amount of stuff bought/borrowed/stole that just sits in a draw, never to be used. I for one got very excited when I realized you could get free samples (thanks be to Bob, the hero), totally did the dog on it, don't think I ever used more than a dozen of the free ones.