News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

Trial version

Started by towlerg, May 11, 2021, 08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

towlerg

I've sort of drifted away from PIC programming of late but I like to recommend Proton whenever I can. Is there still a trial version supporting a limited subset of PIC devices?

John Drew

I could be wrong George but I think any version the person downloads will compile for the free devices.
John

towlerg

Hi John, do you happen to know the address where the latest version can be downloaded?

towlerg

Hi John, that appears to be 3.7.5.5, I though the latest was 4.0.0.0?

RGV250

Hi,
3.7.5.5 is the latest version and 4.0.0.0 is a paid for update that adds devices and features, it also migrates from Proton to Positron which is the same platform and support, it defines the break from Crownhill to Les.
3.7.5.5 is really good enough for you to decide if you like it as a platform. I remember when the trial was only 50 lines of code and only 3 devices and that convinced me to buy it. I think there are a lot more devices in the free version and no limitation on code unless that has changed, there was talk about it.

Regards,
Bob

top204

The free trial versions of the compilers will always remain as versions 3.7.5.5 for the 8-bit compiler, and version 1.0.8.0 for the 16-bit compiler.

If people want version 4.0.0.0 and version 1.1.0.0, onwards, they will need to be paid for.

The current trial versions are more than enough to show the compiler working.

Future updates for anomaly corrections will be a "hotfix", where it updates only the files that have the anomaly, and not the whole compiler install, so later updates will not be suitable for older compiler versions. In, gradual, future updates, I will be getting rid of the USB key support altogether, so they will only be suitable for users who have purchased the "new" software registered versions of the compilers, because the core of the compilers are now, very, different so they will not work with older compiler versions anyway!

Giuseppe

Hi Top 204 just today I bought the compiler on ebay.
I hope my little contribution can help you in future developments.
Thanks again for the great job you did

tumbleweed

Quote from: top204 on May 13, 2021, 01:25 PMIn, gradual, future updates, I will be getting rid of the USB key support altogether, so they will only be suitable for users who have purchased the "new" software registered versions of the compilers
Les, could you clarify this?

If I have the original dongle version and get the v4.0.0.0 update, are you saying that in the future I would have to re-purchase the "new" software-only version?

top204

The 4.0.0.0 upgrade will work with the USB key or the software registered compilers, but only because it is the first upgrade, so I had to keep some compatability with existing "Proton" compilers.

However, over the next year, or two, I am removing the USB key usage altogether. It will eventually not be classed as registration for new devices and new features of the compilers.

To eliminate the USB key and get the software registered compiler versions 4.0.0.0 and 1.1.0.0, the Ebay compilers are the very latest Positron versions, and all updates and upgrades will be suitable for them.

I have to eventually pull the plug on the older compilers and the USB key. They cannot go on forever.

towlerg

As I said my interest is in recommending Proton/Positon but if I have some spare cash I may buy v4 for old times sake.

Les, would it be possible to maintain a list of features exclusive to v4? I sure it would help both existing and potential users to buy v4.

BTW great to hear you're shitcanning the dongle, I hate the bloody things.

tumbleweed

QuoteI have to eventually pull the plug on the older compilers and the USB key. They cannot go on forever.
That's understandable. Looks like it's time for a visit to ebay!

Thanks for clearing that up.

top204

QuoteLes, would it be possible to maintain a list of features exclusive to v4? I sure it would help both existing and potential users to buy v4.

That is what the "Whats New" html file is for. Every update and upgrade has a "whats new" file installed with it that has a list of teh new featurs and any corrections made etc... The Whats new file can be opened from teh Help menu in the IDE.

towlerg

Les, problem is you only get to see the Whatsnew file after you've bought and installed. I'd like to be able to convince peeps to buy v4.?.?.?

Yasin