News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

Strange message

Started by gtvpic, May 09, 2021, 01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtvpic

I am using a 16F877 at 100% of its capacity and when I pass in the number of variables I observe that the error message is not correct.09052121_151700.png
Attached image.

I also need to know if there is any way to determine if the variables are used in the program at some point in the editor, if not, I already know that there is the option of looking for the variable and seeing where it is used. What I am looking for is a list of cross references between the different files of the project and the lines where it is used. Is that implemented in the editor?
Thank you

Stephen Moss

I am not sure if this will do exactly what you want but if you are using the Positron Studio IDE you can use the find feature.
When the find dialogue opens the default search scope is "Current Document" if you select "Current Project" and enter your variable name as the search term, the results will be displayed in the messages window showing all the project files the variable is used in and the number of occurrences in each file.
If you click a listed file the lines of code where the variable is used will be displayed.

top204

The message is to inform a user that the array cannot be used using the FSR register on its own because it needs the IRP bit set in the STATUS register to access RAM above the address of 255.

The compiler handles all of the indirect manipulation when using arrays, but the message is for any user who is trying to access the RAM using registers at low level. The standard 14-bit core devices have a dreadfully fragmented RAM mechanism and I had to jump through hoops to write the code to allow the compiler to access arrays that went over the small fragmented RAM banks.

gtvpic

Thank you
Now I understand, it is not a problem that it uses all the RAM but of how the ARRAY is accessed.
As the project continues to grow, I made the decision to change the PIC for an 18F47K42. It also helped me to have the compiler for said PIC  ;D  ;D  ;D
Thank you