News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Problem with Positron not loading application

Started by SCV, Apr 20, 2021, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCV

Just downloaded ver 2.0.1 build 3 and it gets stuck at "Loading Application" in the messages window and cannot open a file but I can access options etc.
Attached is a grab of the help > about. After this the only way to close is via task manager.

Where should I start looking?

Thanks,
Tim.

Yasin

JohnB

You cannot close the app while about is displayed, click on about to close it then you should be able to close it.
Have a look at the PositronStudio.ini file in C:\ProgramData
Check the Files section and delete any file entry.
Also check the files you have in C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Positronstudio
You should have two files PDF Data.zip and BNF Data.zip file and PRTOS24_Demo.pspkg.
Can you open Welcome?  If you have the Splash screen enabled, you could try checking Hide Splash Screen and restarting it.
Can't think of anything else that would stop it working.

JohnB

JohnB

JohnB

SCV

Hi John,

Deleted the last files list (4 entries) - no difference.
In C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Positronstudio I don't have the BNFData.zip file, the others are there plus a folder CompilerBitNames.

Tim.

SCV

Hi John,

Have been using Proton IDE (I like the tab implementation) but a new collaboration may force me onto Positron.

Problems mentioned earlier are still present in ver 2.0.2 13:
After starting I get "Loading Application" in message window but goes no further, though I can now open a file, edit, save and compile it.
Later I get a warning "Cannot create file "C:\Program Files\Positron Studio\_Recovery\_Untitled.bas". In my machine I dont have a folder "_Recovery"!
In the Code Explorer window, if I scroll down and click a label, the scroll jumps back to the top. Is this normal?
Is there any possibility of implementing tabs like Proton IDE in the future?
I select View > Toolbars > Large Icons but the main window doesn't drop to allow the larger icons to fully reveal, they are partly obscured (see attachment).

If you could help me resolve the issues I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
Tim.

JohnB

Can I suggest you go to the tools, options menu and set the Save Recovery Info to 0 which turns that system off.
You should be able to save the file.  That might resolve your problems.

Code explorer does scroll back to the top after selecting an item, others haven't reported this as a error

What is it about the tabs implementation in Positron Studio that you dislike?  What I have implemented is standard Tabs which are also dockable.

Even if you are collaborating I do not see why you should not use your preferred IDE.  The only reason perhaps is Positron Studio's  Project Manager. 

JohnB

Stephen Moss

Quote from: SCV on Apr 20, 2021, 10:21 AMJust downloaded ver 2.0.1 build 3 and it gets stuck at "Loading Application" in the messages window and cannot open a file but I can access options etc.
Did you install it over an existing version without uninstalling it first?

Either way it sounds like it could be a registry/corrupted download issue to me, try...
1) Uninstalling then reboot
2) Delete all relevant folders including the one in C:\Program Data (enable view hidden files).
3) Start regedit, use Find to locate and delete the Positron Studio entries - reboot again
4) Redownload in case the file you used was corrupted somehow during download and then reinstall.

SCV

Thanks John and Stephen for your suggestions. I will take a look later.

The tabs in Proton IDE (not smart nor converting to spaces) allow the cursor to jump around over the tabs instead of stepping over 4 spaces. I write with my IF~ENDIF/FOR~NEXT/SELECT~ENDSELECT nested and if I tab in I can go back with a single arrow left, likewise moving right. It's a personal thing from as early as PIC Basic Pro!
If I collaborate, then the code will be indented differently as Positron will convert my tabs to spaces. I know there are more important things to work on but if it was easy to enable them, it would be nice.

The scroll bar was just something I noticed, if I jump to a label, I have to scroll down again to jump to another label.

Stephen Moss

Quote from: SCV on Dec 02, 2021, 11:30 AMThe scroll bar was just something I noticed, if I jump to a label, I have to scroll down again to jump to another label.
Not sure what you mean by that, but I have just checked my copy which is V2.0.2 build 12 and if I click on a Label name in the Code Explorer the code window is scrolled to the location of that label so that you can see it and the resulting code.

When I click on a different label it jumps to that label as one would expect so unless I am not understanding what you are referring to it looks to me like either there is something odd going on that is particular to your installation, or the problem has already been resolved in a later version as you initially stated you were using V2.0.1 Build3 

I just took another look at your posted screen shot and see you are mixing single line If-Then Statement with If-Then-EndIf.
I can see that the code folding does not like that by the way it seems to be ignoring the first IF statement and picking up the single line If-Then to the EndIf, so it is possible that mixing maybe causing other issues resulting in the issues you are having with jumping to labels.
Consequently, you could also try replacing any single line If-Then with multiline If-Then-EndIf and see if that changes anything, it may not but is worth checking just to eliminate it as a potential cause.
In V2.0.2 Build 12 that would result in a indication of misformed code as it then sees no EndIf for the initial If statement

SCV

Quote from: Stephen Moss on Dec 03, 2021, 09:28 AMif I click on a Label name in the Code Explorer the code window is scrolled to the location of that label so that you can see it and the resulting code.

When I click on a different label

Hi Stephen,
The action you do between your two sentences is what I was highlighting. From the code explorer > labels I select a label (as per your first sentence above) and the main code window shows the code at that label. To go to another label, I (usually) have to scroll the code explorer window down again as its rolled back to the top when I selected the label, especially apparent in a large programme. Not a huge issue, just a little frustrating when you want to step through several labels looking for something.

I will have a go at doing a clean install later. Could my issues be a clash between Proton and Positron compilers having differences to what Positron Studio is expecting? - had an issue recently where FineLine was not set correctly!
I usually load the latest patch directly or should I install the licensed upgrade (Proton 3.7.5.5-1.0.8.0) from Les first then patch to current (Positron 4.0.1.0-1.1.0.5)?

Any thoughts?
Tim.

SCV

Quote from: JohnB on Dec 01, 2021, 03:10 PMCan I suggest you go to the tools, options menu and set the Save Recovery Info to 0 which turns that system off.
You should be able to save the file.  That might resolve your problems.

Hi John,
I tried and theres no difference. Is it possible its a problem between Proton-Positron? (see notes at the bottom of my reply to Stephen above)

Cheers,
Tim.

JohnB

Are you still getting the "Cannot create file "C:\Program Files\Positron Studio\_Recovery\_Untitled.bas" issue?
When you load a .bas file can you then Save it?
Can you send me a copy of your Positron Studio ini file in C:\Program Data\Positron Studio
Send it to support@PositronStudio.co.uk
JohnB

top204

Remember John. "Program Files" and "Program Files (X86)" are protected directories, and unless the user is a full super admin, the O/S will not always allow writes to them from an application. Unless the application over-rides the O/S, as installers do.

Future installations of the compilers will be placing them in the "Users" directory, so I can counter the protection in those directories, and have the user programs, libraries, and demos in the same directory as the actual compilers. Then "everything" will be in the current directory for the current compiler.

JohnB

It should not be attempting to save the files in that area, by default he should be saving it in the PDS\User directory.
In earlier exchanges I suggested he disables the recovery service so I cannot see why it should be happening at all.
JohnB

SCV

Hi John,

I have sent you my ini file as requested. I attach a few screen grabs of my directory structure and settings if that helps. I have not erased/installed Proton/Positron yet.
The _Recovery error has not occured since turning recovery to zero and now when I turn it back on to one, I don't get the error. Only apparent issue at the moment is the "Loading Application" at startup, once I open a file it goes away. Was able to save and compile an old programme so whatever was/is wrong is not impacting terribly.

Did the description of the code scroll and tabs improvements make any sense?

Cheers,
Tim.