News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Westrex BRPE paper tape punch 110 chars/sec

Started by charliecoutas, Jun 14, 2024, 07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGV250

Hi Charlie,
The video is private so cannot see it.

Bob

charliecoutas

Ah! I'll get under the hood and have a look.....

top204

A brilliant video, of what looks like a brilliant machine Charlie. Noisy, but excellent engineering.

Question... Why the right angle twist and turn of the paper into the machine from what looks like the paper source reel? Just to save space, or is it for tensioning of some sort?

charliecoutas

The reel of tape (which weighs a fair bit) must supply the punch mechanism with zero delay. The punch runs at 100 chars/sec which is 10" per second. The tape comes off the supply spool, round a rubber-covered pulley/shaft which is driven by a small electric motor. This ensures that it can deliver the tape without any snatching, which would ruin the game. It then goes through the right angle so it is ready to enter the punch block.
The actual feed is by a ratchet arrangement. The main shaft runs at 6000rpm, 100 revs/min.

Electro-magnets either engage or not little buckle links which then either engage a punch pin or not. It's a very clever thing. The main motor takes 250 watts with a fearsome fan that could do some real damage to a wandering finger. I made a guard for that.

I'll show you it working when you come to see us with Tim. It's powered by an 18F26K22 and Positron, of course!