News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

SSL question for the forum

Started by top204, May 06, 2024, 07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top204

I keep getting emails that the SSL is going to run out on the 15th of this month, and I have absolutely no idea how to renew it? I have gone to the cpanel site and see it needs updated and click on it, but after that I am totally lost, and it keeps asking for a purchase, but I 'm sure I already purchased some last year for a few years in the future, but it seems to need a renew or something!

The internet has never been my thing and it confuses the crap out of me with its over-bloated nonsense.

Any help out there, and does it matter if it is just HTTP instead of HTTPS?

John Lawton

Don't Panic!

The ISP should be able to assist, i.e. the hosting service. I think my certificates are FOC.

John

kcsl

Both free and paid SSL certificates provide encryption for securing data transmitted between a website and its visitors. The main difference lies in the level of validation and additional features provided. Some ISPs might suggest that a paid SSL certificate is better, but this is not necessarily true for all cases. They may have partnerships with certificate authorities that sell SSL certificates, which could influence their recommendations. However, in terms of encryption strength and security, free SSL certificates can be just as effective as paid ones.

Many browsers will however warn or even block by default access to websites that don't have a valid SSL certificate, so paid or free, you should probably use one. On my websites I use a free one that the ISP recommended, set up and manages for me, but I don't sell anything or do anything that involves financial transactions so I only use SSL to keep other peoples browsers happy.
"Let's Encrypt" is a supplier of free SSL's, there may be others.
On my website dashboard thing there was a button to click that did everything I seem to remember. It was painless anyway.
There's no room for optimism in software or hardware engineering.

top204

I tired that "Let's Encrypt" website and it makes no sense to me! It does not seem to have any relevant information concerning an SSL, whatever that is.

cpanal is wanting, yet more money, for SSL, but if it is a requirement, why is the domain not automatically assigned an SSL. Oh wait....... Even more rip off of the customers.

I give up on the SSL. I am jumping through hoops and it will run out on the 15th of May. The forum does not sell things and does not have private information, so it is not really required.

John Lawton

Les,

some browsers won't connect to the site if it doesn't have a valid SSL certificate which is a PITA for users. Your ISP support department will surely help you, I urge you to contact them.

John