News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

dsPIC33EP512GM304 and - 604 controllers

Started by DataBite, May 04, 2024, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DataBite

Hi all,

I have a question regarding a microcontroller, the dsPIC33EP512GM304 and - 604.
I want to use this controller to read out the PWM signal of my radio transmitter and also 4 motor encoders.  For measuring such signals, I usually use input capter at high clock speed to get accurate measurement results. For a new little project, I need 8 input captures and +/- 24 I/O pins, so a maximum of 44 pins is more than enough. I thought I found these in the above chip and bought it and forgot to check if Positron accepts them. So it doesn't and I can't find any other controllers in 70 MIPs that has the same features as this controller. My question now is, are these controllers with some cleverness still usable in positron?

Stephen Moss

When it comes to using currently unsupported devices I think you only have 3 options...
  • Wait and see if it is eventaully supported.
  • Talk to Les (top204) about paying for it to be specifically included A.S.A.P.
  • Theoretically, you can add it yourself you just need to create the relevant files (.PPI and .Def I think are all you need).

If you really want to try adding it yourself, to save time you could try and find a similar device that is already supported and use it's files as the basis for those of the new device.
Then you would would need to go need to go through the new devices data sheet and make any necessary changes for things like register addresses, numbers of a type of peripheral, memory size and it address locations.
Finally, as the way Microchip do things can vary from device to device I belive the compiler has several different libraries for performing the same function on differnt devices, in which case the library type set in the files for the donar device may not be one required for the new device, assuming the device in question can use any of the existing library(s) and does not need a new one(s) written specifically for it.   

While option 3 is possible, it is not necessarily easy and you could end up spending a lot of time on it with no satifiactory outcome. Thus, I would say that if you feel the benefit justifies the cost then option 2 is probably your best option for a successful outcome, if you really must use that device over an already supported one (or two used in tandem).

DataBite

Thanks for your help Stephen,

I've already looked several times to see if I can do something with those .PPI and .Def files. But it still requires some knowledge and experience to do this properly. I often use the dsPIC33EPXXXMC806 for my robots but that is a 64 pin controller. It is a controller that has almost all functions on board in terms of control, signal measurement and communication to and with other devices. I have been working with it for a long time.  To test something, I wanted to go to a smaller version, but in my enthusiasm forgot to look further to see what positron could compile. As it is not a controller I am going to use very often, I am not going to bother Les with it. For me, it's also just a hobby. Although I am very happy with the compiler. I started with Proton 20 years ago and now continue with Positron, which was a very good choice!

top204

I'll take a look and see if it is a standard device and if the device's peripherals are standard.

If they are, I'll knock up .ppi and .def and.gld files for it.

DataBite

Thank you Les,

For taking your time for this.