News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

How to save a New Programmer in Positron Studio

Started by Clayton, May 02, 2024, 08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayton

Hi there,

Quick question.
I have installed a new programmer in Positron Studio and all looks good, until I shut the IDE and open it the next time.
The newly installed programmer has dissapeared????
How/is there a way to save it?
After installing it with name/.exe/command line info, it appears in the left hand side list. I can select it and it appears in the programmer selected window.
But I don't seem to be able to save it.
Have I missed a step somewhere?

Thanks.
Clayton

JohnB

I have just tried it here and it worked fine.
After adding a programmer I click Apply and OK and the new programmer was added.
Closed the Positron Studio and reopened it and the new programmer was present.

Can you explain exactly what steps you made and I will try and repeat them here?
JohnB

Clayton

Hi John,

Thanks for trying it.
This is the sequence I use....

Click 'Tools' then 'Configure Programmers...'

1-Click 'Add Plus Symbol'
2-Fill in the name for the programmer....SNAP
3-Add the Path + .EXE
4-Add the Parameters
5-Click 'Apply'
6-Click 'OK'
 See image below.

If I then close Positron and reopen it, the programmer has gone???

JohnB

I have just added 3 programmers and they have all been saved.
Could it be that you do not have write access to the Positron Studio ini file
should be in C:\ProgramData\PositronStudio.ini.  You need write access to that file.
Look for an entry [Programmers]
Here is a copy from my ini file:
[Programmers]
None=,,False
Tiny Bootloader=C:\TinyMultiBootloaderPlus\TinyMultiBootloader+.exe,$long-hex-filename$ EXIT,True
PICKIT2+ 3.3V=C:\GCB@Syn\PICkitPlus\PICKitCommandline.exe,-w -e -a3.3 -pPIC$target-device$ -f"$hex-filename$" -mpce -d5,True
PICKIT3+ 5V=C:\GCB@Syn\PICkitPlus\PICKitCommandline.exe,-w -e -a5.0 -pPIC$target-device$ -f"$hex-filename$" -mpce -d5,True
MikroElektronica's USB 2.0=C:\Users\Public\Documents\Mikroelektronika\mikroProg Suite For PIC\FrmFlashmProg.exe,-pPIC$target-device$ -f"$long-hex-filename$",True
MEProgammingSuite=C:\Users\Public\Documents\Mikroelektronika\mikroProg Suite For PIC\mikroProg Suite For PIC.exe,-pPIC$target-device$ -f"$long-hex-filename$",True
You should have an entry for the programmers you have added.
JohnB

Clayton

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. It gave me a clue.
It seems, and I may be wrong, that because I entered the Programmer name as 'SNAP' manually, and then entered the executable, manually etc, then for some reason it didn't save that to the .ini file.

This time I didn't enter the name and just found the executable file location, double-clicked the file.
The name was then populated as the executable filename (excluding the .exe), and the parameters were automatically filled in as well.
Now when I click 'Apply' and 'OK', the window closes, and the file appears in the list.
If I now close the application and restart it, the programmer is in the list......

Strange that it didn't like me entering the information manually......
However, alls-well-that-ends-well :)

Thanks John.

Clayton

John, one further question.
Is there any 'trapping' performed when a programmer is selected that informs you that the programmer does not support the device used in the program?

JohnB

No, its down to the programmer app.  I simply shell out to the programmer app, if there are errors they should appear in the programmer's UI.
JohnB