News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

PBP3 Pro user looking for updating Pic list

Started by JackB, Apr 16, 2024, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackB

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using PBP3 Pro with a limited Pic listed device, I came across Positron Compiler, and at first
It's look very similar to MicroCode Studio Plus from Mecanique UK, since PBP3 from MELAB will not upgrade any Pic list I wonder does Positron Compiler is optimized on the same level as PBP3.

Also I read the subject on the Positron software licensing, is it the same as  PBP3 (eg:serial number)

if any problem I can re-install the software with my Positron serial number.

And lastly, does Positron compiler is here for many years to come.

(if possible to send me via my email, the paypal link)

Thanks

RGV250

Hi,
I can't help you with most of your questions but regards the licnce, you get a personal copy licenced to you so you can install it on any PC / laptop you have.

Bob

JackB

John Lawton

Here is a link to the trial versions for both the 8bit and 16bit compilers and a list of supported PIC devices by the full versions.
https://sites.google.com/view/rosetta-tech/home?fbclid=IwAR1WeBXG4odhO1hapKGkMVZSahwZvISauLBjMiERhQK6V41Kyg8B1aND9D0

Here is a purchase link, with details of how this works:
https://sites.google.com/view/rosetta-tech/home/how-to-purchase-the-positron-compilers

I hope that you can join us on the pretty active forum!

John

JackB

Thanks John , already sent an email.

regards.

top204

Hello Jack. I have sent you an email, but will answer your main questions on here:

QuoteIt's look very similar to MicroCode Studio Plus from Mecanique UK, since PBP3 from MELAB will not upgrade any Pic list I wonder does Positron Compiler is optimized on the same level as PBP3.
The compiler IDE is written by the same person who wrote the MicroCode Studio, but remember, this is not the compiler, just a vessel to hold the texts sent to the compiler. However, some of the good users on this forum have also created excellent IDEs for the Positron compilers. There is Positron Studio from John, FineLine IDE from Norm, and a plugin for Studio Code from Atomix. And they are all excellent to use.

I also started with the PBP compiler back in the late 1990s, and wrote a book about it (Experimenting with the PIBASIC PRO Compiler by Les Johnson). However, I could see that they were stagnating back then as well compared to the new devices coming out, and the compiler was not advancing in any real way. So I decided to create a compiler also based upon the BASIC Stamp 2 syntax, but give it things that melabs were not giving PBP. i.e. Floating Point, 32-bit variables, signed variables, String variables, procedures, a pre-processor, 16-bit device support, and the list goes on... Also, the PBP compiler does not optimise its assembler code at all. It uses assembler macros for its code mechanisms, and these are a good idea, but they are not optimised and whatever is in the macro is what is used in the assembler code, regardless whether the code can be streamlined around it or not. Whereas the Positron compilers actually have an optimising pass that "really" optimises the assembler code and makes it as smooth and tidy and small or fast as I am capable of writing. Some of the assembler code is so tight that it would actually be a struggle to write it by hand better, and it is tidy and clear to read and understand. :-) This is because I was an assembler writer first for many years, so the code produced by a compiler has to come as close as it can to my standards as an assembler writer.

QuoteAlso I read the subject on the Positron software licensing, is it the same as  PBP3 (eg:serial number)
The Positron compilers are personalised, so the compilers installation belongs to you, and the installer has your ID in it, and so do the compiler files. This means you can install the compilers on any computers you own or use.

Quoteif any problem I can re-install the software with my Positron serial number.
As above, the installer and compilers are yours with your personal ID in them, so you can re-install and multiple install on computers you own and use.

QuoteAnd lastly, does Positron compiler is here for many years to come.
I do hope so.... I actually had a brain hemorage 9 years ago with brain surgery, and still would not let my babies die. i.e. My compilers. So as long as there is breath left in my body (which there is still plenty of, hopefully), the compilers will continue to be supported and maintained and improved upon. Even if I do go, there are instructions to release the compilers source as "open source", so only one of us will not be around.

Quote(if possible to send me via my email, the paypal link)
See your email reply.

Best regards
Les

JackB

A very well made work.

Thanks Les, for all the details really appreciate.