Positron Compilers Upgrade now ready to purchase

Started by top204, Mar 06, 2024, 02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top204

The uninstall and install does not touch the registry anymore, apart from what it uses itself to indicate that it is installed.

The installer has no reference to user registry keys in it, so it cannot remove what it does not know exists. :-)

The IDE's executable has not changed.

top204

Email sent Gianfranco. Many thanks.

Best regards
Les

RGV250

Hi,
I just thought I would mention it might be a good idea to delete all the email addresses before the robots get them.

Bob

gianmagna

Hi Les

I have a problem with the compiler

I had to reinstall the OS. on the PC due to a HD problem, now I have put an SSD

the problem is the compiler, not the update

positron studio now only finds me the old version of proton 3.7.5.5 that I had on a backup

I searched on the old HD for the compiler to no avail, I think it was lost

It's likely that it's on the part that's no longer readable

I should reinstall the compiler, can you send it to me?

I thank you in advance.

Gianfranco

top204

Send me an email Gianfranco, and I'll try and find your installer on my external drives and upload it.

This is why I stated in the email/message sent with the installer's link, to keep the installer executable safe for future use. :-)

rsync

dionbrewington

I am late to the party.  Just sent the paypal Les.  Thanks again for your hard work!

top204

Many thanks Dion

I have sent a PM with the download link for your upgrade, because I am having a few problems with my email transmits again.

Since micro$oft took over hotmail, I have had quite a few password problems with it, that I never used to have.

Best regards
Les

JohnB

Help - Les, I have been tidying up my PC - running low on disk space after loading MPLAB XE!
I cleaned out a number of programs including Positron Compiler which reinstalled after downloading from the link you supplied when I upgraded (after a fight with Google Security).

What I have now is an incomplete install as far as I can see.  There is no Proton IDE, and no assembler,  I am also getting an error when I try and compile some of my programs with "unrecognised or incorrect operator syntax"  this is on the top line
of the page which is a comment.  Taking out all comment down to first line of code and the error moves down to the first line of code.  I also think some of the Def files are missing because I am not picking them up with my highlighter.
JohnB

trastikata

Hello John,

Reinstall Positron by executing the installation as administrator, then run Positron IDE as administrator again.

Please let me know if it worked, the reason I ask is because after a recent Windows update all kind of similar troubles started on my PC.

JohnB

@trastikata
Just tried that, results were the same - Proton IDE was not installed, nothing in the BIN directories apart from x16-as.exe,x16c-bin2hex.exe and xc16-ld.exe.  It seems that the last update is not a full install.
JohnB

Stephen Moss

@JohnB 
you did not indicate whether or not you had re-installed your base installation first (i.e. Positron Compilers Setup for [insert name]).

If not would that not be the cause, as I am sure that for existing customers the upgrade installs on top of that base installation and thus would only contain the necessary files, rather than a complete set of files someone purchasing the latest upgrade version as a new customer would get as that would be base installation.

JohnB

I have reverted to my original personalised install which got Proton IDE back, I then installed the latest update but I am now getting the compiler reporting errors which as far as I can see are not errors.  e.g. Result is not recognised as a variable when in a procedure which returns a value, Pin variable type is not recognised.
JohnB

top204

Sounds like the IDE is calling the incorrect executable for the Positron compilers and calling the original proton compiler, that did not know about Pin variables or procedures etc... This, for some reason, happens in the later windows versions because it creates 'hidden' virtual links and files etc, and actually uses previous versions. I've had this also sometimes happen on other programs I've installed on windows 10.

So.... To cut out all of the Windows querks with virtual links and folders etc, I have created a full installer for you, that will install the latest compiler versions. i.e. 4.0.4.0 and 1.1.1.7, and I will send you a PM with the URL link, because my email is still on the blink.

Important.
However, before installing the latest compilers, uninstall as many of the compiler versions that are on your machine as you can (but do not worry of some of the earlier ones do not uninstall), and also any Proton or Positron icons on the desktop that get left over, and then delete the ProtonIDE folder from "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtonIDE\". This will give you an absolutely blank slate. Then install the installer from the link. i.e. "Positron Compilers Setup for John Barrat - 4.0.4.0-1.1.1.7.exe".

JohnB

Thank you Les, I am now back to where I was yesterday.

Are we all getting too old or are things which used to be straight forward a getting more and more complicated.
Things never used to be so difficult when I wrote programmes for my Z80.
JohnB

top204

You are welcome John. If you cannot help a friend, there is something desperately wrong. :-)

QuoteAre we all getting too old or are things which used to be straight forward a getting more and more complicated.

I used to think like that as well, but it is not the case. For some inexplicable reason, the emotionally detached, and lawyers, and sales people, and nerds are in charge, and, virtually, everything is being made more and more complex for no valid reasons. Just look at operating systems now... They are frankenstein monsters, full of crap that a nerd thinks is good, but the real world does not want or like. But the sales people like it because it gives them "buzz" words for the sheep, and the lawyers like it because it gives them "control". And they know the people have "no choice" but to use them. It is the same with most things now.

Technology was supposed to make things more "simple", but it has had the exact opposite effect when particular groups of people are in absolute charge of it, as they are now, and the human species has turned even more sheeplike, and under "absolute" control. What's more.... It is actually getting worse! "Big Brother" awaits, but George was just a few decades out with his timing of it. :-)

JohnB

What initiated this was the question about the 8bit_device.info file.
Looking at the files in PDS\Includes and PDS\Bin8 - should I use both files?  After a couple of random checks there didn't seem to be device duplication so I guess I should use both.
JohnB

tumbleweed

The new 8bit_device.info file in PDS\Includes\bin8 contains duplicates of existing 18F devices, new 18F's, and new 16F's.

Some of the existing devices (like the 18FxxQ84) have been updated in the new file, so I would look there first.

top204

Remember John. The .info file is what the assembler uses, not the compiler. So there may be things in those files that I am testing, but not using in the compiler itself, or vice-versa.

For valid device info that the compiler uses, always use the device's .PPI file.

tumbleweed

Quote from: top204 on Apr 11, 2024, 01:16 PMFor valid device info that the compiler uses, always use the device's .PPI file.
That would probably be a better choice anyway since then you can get the default settings that the compiler uses from the [DEFCONFIGSTART] section of the PPI file.

You wouldn't normally want to use some of the actual chip defaults (like JTAGEN or MVECEN)