News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Picbasic

Started by Dolci, Dec 10, 2023, 10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolci

Found this manual lying in my bookshelf. A legitimate picbasic user here ;D

Dolci

can't upload the image.. how?

edit: i think i got it

John Drew

I have the same manual Dolci. Goes back a bit. The start of a long and enjoyable journey.
John

top204

I should never have stopped writing my books, but I was always too busy making money and reputation for someone else, and now, the internet has killed the book writing skills. :-(

The L.E.T compiler was truly dreadful and I had to run in circles to get things working in it for the book. That is when I decided to create my own compiler that 'really' worked and could manage different variable types. So I read the articles from Jack Crenshaw named: "Let's Build a Compiler", and started from scratch, but instead of using Pascal as he originally wrote his snippets in, I used C++, and it expanded from there.

His code snippets and articles were written for a stack based microcprocessor, so I had to adapt his ideas quite a bit for a stackless microcontroller that had banked RAM and flash memory etc, but it was fun to learn and do something I had only ever experimented with in the past, and every evening and weekend I created something new and learned a lot by experimenting.

Let's Build a Compiler, by Jack Crenshaw

flosigud

I bought LET basic from Leading Edge Technology in Malta because it was so cheap. This turned out to be the start off a long and enjoyable journey as John said.

Frizie

Over the years, a fantastic Basic compiler has been created by Les Johnson, from which other compilers (and not just Basic compilers) can learn a lot.
Many thanks Les!
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

joesaliba

Quote from: flosigud on Dec 11, 2023, 12:15 PMI bought LET basic from Leading Edge Technology in Malta because it was so cheap. This turned out to be the start off a long and enjoyable journey as John said.

Someone from Crownhill once told me that they begin there business or part of it from Malta. I am from Malta and remember the place.

Joe

flosigud

As I understood it at the time, Crownhill bought some products from a guy who was retiring.