News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

OT What CE directive for battery operated devices

Started by TimB, Dec 07, 2023, 07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimB

Hi All

I developed a temperature meter. It runs on 2 x AA batteries. It has BT and I used a MChip fully certified module that is tested for many standards

In the past I had a device CE tested and it was EXPENSIVE! They just tested it for RF generation and zapped it with RF and HV probes.

My new product was never going to sell enough (10's not 1000's) So I opted for self certification listing that RF parts conform to rel cert no provided by MChip

Now a customer is demanding a CE declaration from the manufacturer (me). Ok so now I need to make a cert declaring I comply bla bla bla. I found a very handy site that will help you generate the cert https://ce-marking.help/home but I need to know what I'm complying with so it can generate the right info on the cert.

My issue is that I cannot find the right one. Some people say the LVD (low voltage directive) but reading it I cannot see a match.

Anybody have a number?

Thanks Tim

Gamboa

Hi Tim,

I found some information on Microchip.
Microchip has a pre-certified module: RNBD451PE

https://www.microchip.com/en-us/product/rnbd451pe

In the link I attached there is a section below "Documentation". There you will find a line with the following information "RNBD451PE Regulatory Approval Documentation" in a compressed file.

Regards,
Gamboa
Long live for you

TimB

Thanks Gamboa

I'm using the RN4870 module and have all the same documents. They relate to the RF side.

I need a directive for my electronics

Thanks again

Tim

Stephen Moss

Presumably the customer has a specific concern(s), if they have not stated what it is then ask them as that may steer you in the right direction, i.e. if they are intending to use it near medical equipment then EMC maybe their primary concern, thus steering you toward that directive rather than to the Low voltage directive in order the satisfy their requirements.

Failing that you could try contacting support on the linked to webpage, describing the unit is question and asking them which is the appropriate directive(s)

Personally, if its use is not medial then would go for the Radio equipment directive as being the most applicable from those listed as it use Bluetooth which involves RF transmission.

TimB

Hi Stephen

I should really have a DO NOT use as a medical use message on the manual. In this case though the customer has to do all the checking because their government is issuing the directive before they can import it.

Once I generate the cert they will be happy. But the cert needs a standard that I'm complying with to be on it. Hence my question.

Tim

John Lawton

Speak with the test house you used before, they should know and will hopefully be helpful to you as you've used them before.

trastikata

I was looking through that EU stuff, looks really complicated to make something commercially available there. For example the first (RED) directive states:

Quote6. Manufacturers shall ensure that radio equipment which they have
placed on the market bears a type, batch or serial number or other
element allowing its identification, or, where the size or nature of the
radio equipment does not allow it, that the required information is
provided on the packaging, or in a document accompanying the radio
equipment.
7. Manufacturers shall indicate on the radio equipment their name,
registered trade name or registered trade mark and the postal address at
which they can be contacted or, where the size or nature of radio
equipment does not allow it, on its packaging, or in a document accom
panying the radio equipment. The address shall indicate a single point at
which the manufacturer can be contacted. The contact details shall be in
a language easily understood by end-users and market surveillance
authorities.
▼M2
8. Manufacturers shall ensure that the radio equipment is accom
panied by instructions and safety information. Instructions shall
include the information required to use radio equipment in accordance
with its intended use. Such information shall include, where applicable,
a description of accessories and components, including software, which
allow the radio equipment to operate as intended. Such instructions and
safety information, as well as any labelling, shall be clear, under
standable and intelligible.
The following information shall also be included in the instructions in
the case of radio equipment intentionally emitting radio waves:
(a) frequency band(s) in which the radio equipment operates;
(b) maximum radio-frequency power transmitted in the frequency
band(s) in which the radio equipment operates.

And this is only one page of 50  ;D, I am wondering how is it even possible for a small start-up company to sell something there?

TimB

Quote from: John Lawton on Dec 07, 2023, 03:50 PMSpeak with the test house you used before, they should know and will hopefully be helpful to you as you've used them before.

If I could remember who they were. I should have the certification I have somewhere but it was from 2009 so out of my email back up range, it would have the info on what it was tested to.

Actually it was dB Technology (Cambridge) Ltd. I will give them a call tomorrow.

John Lawton

DB have always been very helpful to me with advice.

TimB

DB were a great help

In case this is of help to others here is a great explanation of what a CE Declaration of conformity is and entails

https://ce-marking.help/eu-declaration

It basically says by making the declaration it forces you to think hard about what you are claiming and what directives it covers and make you put your name to it.