News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

Spot the Anomaly

Started by top204, Oct 01, 2023, 04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top204

Spot the anomaly in the photo below. I am looking for a desoldering pump on Ebay, and I came across this picture advertising a cheap one. Unfortunately, this picture shows what the world is coming too. Instead of intelligence being the normal for the future generations, we get this! Surely, even an idiot who has never used a soldering iron knows what one is and that its metal parts get hot! Or is that too intelligent?

Strange Way to Hold a Soldering Iron.jpg

Yasin

I guess since the person in the photo is innocent, fire and heat cannot harm him.  ;D

Frizie

Maybe the photo is created by AI  ;D
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

Wimax

Several years after the "cold fusion" I see the "cold soldering" or the guy has asbestos hands  ;D

ken_k

This reminds me of the many technical mistakes I keep spotting when watching movies and technical videos; my wife gets quite sick of me pointing them out.

Oskar-svr

There are various bugs around the world

kcsl

Quote from: Wimax on Oct 01, 2023, 05:10 PMSeveral years after the "cold fusion" I see the "cold soldering" or the guy has asbestos hands  ;D
Funnily enough, cold soldering is already a thing.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/cold-heat.htm
There's no room for optimism in software or hardware engineering.

RGV250

Hi,
Not electrical but still dangerous, what concerns me is if anyone who did not know better would think this is how to use it. A quick trip to A & E later will let them know it isn't.
What I find most worrying is not the person in the picture but the person taking the photo graph and the proof readers who obviously do not know better.
Grinder error.jpg

GERARD

It's really sad...  :'(
I am the happy grandpa of twins

top204

I've looked and looked and I can't see anything wrong with the image of the chisel being sharpened on the grinder RGV250? I know it should be done on an oil stone, but I have done things similar on a grinding wheel in a drill when the chisel's edge has been all bashed up after years of using it as a lever and is so pitted the oil stone is not enough to get the edge back into order. :-)

JonW

Not supported and could bite, gloves will likely catch fire and the fact that stone can easily soften the tool steel due to excessive heat.  White stones preferred for HSS and high-carbon steel

RGV250

Hi Les,
The tool is unsupported and I would expect it to smash down on the rest and then launch itself over the other side of the workshop. I occasionally make the mistake on my wood lathe when rushing and it does give you a fright and if lucky does not destroy the work piece.

As Jon says, gloves are not a good idea, mainly when drilling as you get a false sense of security. Someone at work was using a 25mm drill bit and was clearing the swarf with a gloved hand when it dragged him in. Without the glove he would be nowhere near the work.

Bob

SeanG_65

I love watching a TV series called "Retro Electro" where they take old 80 and earlier tech, and repair it. They keep banging on about how the guy doing this is one of a very few still repairing stuff. Want to know why?

In 1990, I was earning £25/Hs working at Racal in Seaton, repairing military radios. I LOVED it, and I was bloody good at it. I could fix things others had repeatedly failed to. Fast forward to now. That SAME job is paying £18. Discgraceful!

I worked for SEA in barnstaple, One my first day, I was given the first board of a new products and told it needed testing. Two hours later, I had not only tested it, but repaired in and modified it to make it meet specification, AND documented the changes I had made. My section leader asked "How can you do that on something you have never seen before"? I replied, "Because THAT is what I do. You wanted someone who could hit the ground running, you got them".

I LOVE fixing things. Making them like new or better. Most 20 something these days can't even change a light bulb. We are DOOMED.

top204

Crickey £25 and hour in 1990!! "If I voz a rich man, ya-va-davva-davva-davva-davva-davva-davva-dum" :-)

In 1990, I was in a job that paid £12000 a year and I thought that was bloody good, although it was for a rip off company named Sky, and in the North East of the UK (Washington), so we were doubly ripped off. :-) So, IMO, you were in an exceptional job for that time, and well done.

I was also good at my job of fixing things, especially the satellite receivers for Sky customers, and really enjoyed my job. We had a room filled with 8 of us, and we always had such fun at work. It was actually like going to a social meeting with friends each day, but without the booze. The booze came at the weekends in Newcastle and pub crawls with my work friends. :-)

It was fun when the manufacturers brought out a new receiver or TV or video etc, and I had to get into it and find/fix the problems.

SeanG_65

Quote from: JonW on Nov 07, 2023, 01:16 PMNot supported and could bite, gloves will likely catch fire and the fact that stone can easily soften the tool steel due to excessive heat.  White stones preferred for HSS and high-carbon steel

I use a stone, then finish with progressively higher crocus paper. After 3000, I use a polishing wheel and TOOTHPASTE. Your chisels will come out so sharp, you CAN shave with them. Do the same for drill bits and they will cut like 10KW lasers.

I agree Les, When you have a small group of good guys in the same small shop, and no managers, much fun is had, and much work also gets done. A happy workforce is a productive workforce, and when you need them to go above and beyond, they will.

Peter Truman

I saw a TV show fairly recently (Australian I think) - The premise was something to do with dead people reappearing without knowing they were supposed to be dead!

Turns out it was all something to do with a company doing some weird experiments (can't remember the detail) - The upshot was that in one of the main scenes there was a guy supposedly 'probing' the inner parts of a human brain - with a soldering iron pencil!

Even better - it was the same brand of iron that I use - wonder if it has a feature I wasn't aware of?

Bravo

I think the guy with the soldering iron is trying to loose his finger prints. He is obviously on drugs, as looks so calm ???
Retired RF Tech