News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Radar sensors

Started by david, Sep 21, 2023, 07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david

Hi All,
Has anyone else played with these little radar sensors? (see attached)
I bought one just to play with and managed to find a tool the company provides for configuring and testing them.   Initially I thought the output pin was always high but this thing detects any movement out to around 12m and at around 8m it detects you keeping still but breathing.  Next task is to reconfigure this on the fly via the 115200 baud Rx and Tx pins.  Their tool allows you to do this but ideally you want to be able to do this via the PIC.

Cheers,
David

JonW

Designed some of the first doppler ones with discrete DRO and mixers at 10.5G near on 25yrs ago.  Think they are using S3KM111L IC here.  Doubt you will get any rock solid datasheets from them.

david

Hi Jon,
I seem to remember one of the UK electronics mags used to advertise a microwave system.  It appeared to be a diecast alloy device with two cavities.  I'm guessing a bit here but sometime in the 1980s.   I know some car alarms used microwave sensors.  One I pulled apart had a Motorola UHF transistor, an LM324 and little else.  It used full sensitivity to detect anything lurking near the car and then reduced the sensitivity to determine if the threat had moved closer.
You're probably right about the IC used - it's tiny print and looks to me like S3KM115G but the 5 is quite uncertain.  As you say - not a lot of data around and some on github are trying to make sense of it.

Cheers,
David