Looking for a good home for electronic stuff

Started by TimB, Sep 16, 2023, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimB

Hi all

I'm going to be ripping down my workshop and downsize my workspace. This means I have a shedload of stuff to get rid of. Some stuff is easy, old paperwork etc, take it to the dump. But I'm coming across stuff I think would be better in a new home.

So I'm looking for a a good home for the electronic stuff. This consists of random ic's enclosures stuff like that.

If you want it or know of a good cause then let me know. It's totally free and I will ship to any address in the UK.
Now I cannot guarantee you will want all the bits but be sure I will make sure its usable, i.e no random unused PCB's etc. If you take the stuff and do not want it, then put it in the bin but keep it to yourself.

Post if you are interested and we can PM and I can get an address to send the stuff to.

BTW if you are near N london and want some tools then let me know I have a few to get rid of as well.

Cheers

Tim

charliecoutas

HI Tim

We use lots of "electronic stuff" at The National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park. We never know what project might be lurking round the corner so unless any other forum member would like your gear, we'll happily take it.

But what about Les? I'm sure he would love to have it and may I suggest we give him time to see your post?

Are you moving into another field?

Best regards
Charlie

TimB

Hi Charlie

I gave Les boxes of stuff a few years back I think he has enough. The National Museum of Computing is the ideal place to donate my stuff too. I may if its alright deliver them in person. It's only about an hours away and have not visited it yet.

I make/made my living in steam quality. Electronics etc is a hobby that has migrated into my work. But as I work from home it's been a pain for the wife and family having all the rubbish around eg goods in, goods out.

So I'm kind of retiring, (early) that means the workshop can be demolished and a summer room built for the misses. I will still have a workshop but smaller and my son in law who works for me will take over. He is tidier than me and can still get the work done in a reduced space.

I still have developments in my field that I will be working on. Lots of programming still to be done.

charliecoutas

That's brilliant Tim, thank you on behalf of the museum. Would it be possible for you to deliver on a Monday? (Not tomorrow) as that's the only full day that I'm there and it would be good to meet you and thank you in person, and show you round of course. I do most of the development work at home (in Wokingham).

You mention tidyness: my workshop at home is a picture of chaos but I like it that way. Our workshop at the museum isn't much better.

Thanks again
Charlie

TimB

Hi Charlie

Yes Monday will be great I will PM you when. Probably a week tomorrow.

Tim

charliecoutas

Thanks Tim, looking forward to it.

Charlie

TimB

charliecoutas

Arrgghhhh. Sorry Tim, I don't know where my inbox is?

Charlie

charliecoutas

Giuseppe

Hi Tim, I'm in Italy, is your offer valid for me too? I could pay for shipping

TimB

Hi Giuseppe

Really sorry I dropped of the stuff to Charlie today.

Thanks Charlie for listening to me for all that time and a big thank for the tour. Absolutely fascinating.

Tim

top204

Did you go to Bletchley Tim? If so, I am now green with envy. :-)

Giuseppe

TimB

Quote from: top204 on Sep 25, 2023, 04:38 PMDid you go to Bletchley Tim? If so, I am now green with envy. :-)

I would be more than happy to drive you there and have another visit.   ;D

top204

That would be excellent Tim, and so kind of you. :-) Since my injury, I cannot drive far anymore. :-(

We would need to clear it with Charlie first.

I look forward to seeing you again Tim, so you are always welcome to visit and have a natter over a cup of coffee. We have the spare bedroom with a "brand new" bed. :-)

charliecoutas

It would be a real pleasure to take you on a tour of our wonderful machines Les.
I'll fix some dates with you and Tim via PM's.

Tim: Glad you enjoyed your visit and thanks again for the gear: it has already inspired an idea for an exhibit. The National Museum of Computing's Quantum Computer! I'll post more on this as things progress, but,  little secret, it won't be a real quantum machine, we couldn't afford the cryogenics for a start. But it should be funny and it is centered around The Turing Test, a thing I knocked up a while ago. "Chat" AI is in the news again so I've updated mine with a 200MHz PIC to make it snappy.

Charlie

charliecoutas

Tim

On behalf of the museum, thank you very much for your kind donation of interesting electronic stuff.

Attached is a photo of a medium wave transmitter we housed in one on your enclosures. It transmits RTTY or audio signals to one of our AR88 receivers, which then prints out an analog of the signal on a thin paper tape, called "Slip".

Charlie