News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Forum problems

Started by top204, Aug 12, 2023, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top204

Hello

I am probably going to have to let the forum go, because I cannot afford to keep up its payments.

I am also having problems with SSL and other crap with it that is costing more and more money that I simply do not have, and confusing the crap out of me so I do not have a clue how to solve problems, and I do not have the time, or the interest, to read up on all the internet nonesense that they make to get more money from a person!

If the forum goes, I will keep up the Facebook forum.

Sorry, but sometimes living comes before an interest. :-(

Dompie

That's an annoying message. I have no idea how much money the website costs, but I would like to donate an annual contribution to the costs so that the site can continue to exist.
I don't have a Facebook account and don't want one.

Johan

Oskar-svr

Hello friend, I am willing to help financially, and if you should make decisions, how to raise money, since we all benefit from this forum.
And in this way you do not have to close your work and if you decide to be on FACEBOOK you have my support

John Lawton

I hope someone can help Les with the website SSL stuff, I know it can be a bit of a pain. Perhaps the web hosting supplier can help?

This forum is invaluable and I'm sure many users would be happy to make a regular (annual?) contribution in order to keep it going. We don't want to lose the forum again, that would be very damaging to the user community.

Facebook is simply awful and I hate using it. In my opinion it isn't in any way an equivalent to this forum.

John

RGV250

Hi,
On the RGV250 forum I am on the owner was in a similar position. It is not quite the same but there is a technical section which you get access to if you subscribe £10 per year which is not even 2 pints now, well down south it is anyway.
Obviously that does not help with the technical SSL stuff but perhaps it could help with the costs. I think it shows up on your profile if you are a sponsor or not.
Perhaps a poll would help to see the feeling of people and if enough would do it to make it viable.

Bob 

trastikata

As far as I remember gevv helped transferring the forum to the new hosting i.e. Namecheap, thus I believe there wont be any trust issues here.

The hosting is about 50USD per year and the SSL certificate can be bought from Namecheap for another 10USD on annual basis.

This is something we can easily support financially and if gevv is able to help with the SSL installation, the problem will be resolved.

GDeSantis

This Forum has been a blessing.  I very much enjoy checking member comments daily which has been an invaluable option to learn more about Positron BASIC programming.

I am OK to provide financial support (i.e. annual contribution?) to keep it going but the Facebook option won't work for me.

Just let me know how I can help

magic_gun

hello my dearest friends ,I am willing to help financially to but not a paypal i can donete directly or another way best wishes from turkiye with love n respect

ps atari and proton/pozitron 4ever

m.gun

okaman

Quote from: top204 on Aug 12, 2023, 05:46 PMHello

I am probably going to have to let the forum go, because I cannot afford to keep up its payments.

I am also having problems with SSL and other crap with it that is costing more and more money that I simply do not have, and confusing the crap out of me so I do not have a clue how to solve problems, and I do not have the time, or the interest, to read up on all the internet nonesense that they make to get more money from a person!

If the forum goes, I will keep up the Facebook forum.

Sorry, but sometimes living comes before an interest. :-(

dear Les,
  to buy extra more positron at ebay  could it make little help to you by me ? 
for example If I buy positron 2 more , will that payment be in your hands without interruption?
and is this way will ok to send to you the money ?

DWIN Sale Manager TURKEY
(info@kamantek.com)
http://www.kamantek.com/shop/index.php

rick.curl

I can't help with SSL but I'll be happy to pitch in to support the site financially.
Les- this forum is a WONDERFUL resource. I am also concerned that if the forum goes away you will not be able to sell as many copies of Positron.

I REALLY hope you can keep the forum going!

-Rick

Werwolf

Dear Les,
I have not used and will not use Facebook. Ready to support this great forum 100 EUR. Please specify the payment method (PayPal is acceptable).

Best Regards
Alvydas

TimB

If the website costs as much as mine then I'm happy to cover the costs every year.Also SSL on my site is just an option and pretty much free.

Yves

It is a very sad news. Losing the forum is like losing a old friend. I don't have that much money but I will be very happy to pay a yearly subscription. I don't know how many Positron licenses there are but looking at the list of subscribers it seems to me a quite substantial amount. I have made some money using Positrons and I think it normal for me to contribute to sustain Les and the master piece he created.

Regards,

Yves   
Yves

atomix

If the forum closes it will be the end of the compilers.
I will never use Facebook.

JohnB

I cannot remember exactly but I think I am paying about £100-£150/year for the Positron Studio website.  It gets very little use and I would be happy to hand it over including the domain name to Les and the community if indeed that is possible and continue funding it at the current level.

I don't know how it would be affected if the forum was hosted on it but its outside my sphere of knowledge and interest. I am not precious about the Positron Studio name being tied to my IDE and can easily change it if you want to use it for the product.
JohnB

Frizie

I never use facebook and I agree with the others: Forum end = Positron end  :(
I am willing to contribute financially.
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

keytapper

If the site will go down, my suggestion looks for the old fashion of a mailing list. Probably it takes just a pubblic IP and a computer that works 24/7 as mail server.
Maybe also IRC will allow same style, but not easy way to download or file sharing, from the server.
I don't know how much that way will be searchable in order to bring some newcomer interest, but for all of the follower is an invaluable support and money saver.

I do prefer other IM like WhatsApp and Skype, which allow to make a group, that's may be another option.
Ignorance comes with a cost

Frizie

Les, don't immediately pull the plug from the forum, but let us find a solution  :o
Today I programmed again with Positron and try something new (for me) and it works immediately!
Again and again it turns out that this is a superior compiler.
There belongs a forum with it.

We need to see if we can put the entire forum with a webhostingcompany so you don't have to work with it anymore and it doesn't cost you anything.
I don't know if it is possible but we can try also to combine Positron Studio with it (if John find this ok).
I just don't have the knowledge about this matter so will have to get help from other forum users.
And if it's not too crazy I'm willing to pay the annual costs.
Ohm sweet Ohm | www.picbasic.nl

trastikata

Everyone, please chill out. We won't let the forum disappear. Please refer to my previous posts:

https://protoncompiler.com/index.php?msg=14054

I am waiting for a replay from Les, or gevv, since he's the one who transferred the forum from the old hosting to the new one.

Either way if gevv is unavailable I can prepay the hosting for an year (that's the maximum) and buy and install the SSL certificate for the forum, but I will need some information from Les.

So let's wait for Les or gevv to answer.

SeanG_65

I have £34 million of (currently) non fungible crypto currency, which is due to go live by the end of this month. IF and when that happens, I will fund the Forum for as long as we need it.