News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Serial BootLoader with UI front end for newer devices

Started by TimB, Jun 23, 2023, 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimB

A long time ago on another forum.....

Dave Barker (proton ide) wrote a bootloader and sold a front end for it so you could point to the .hex and it would squirt the data over rs232 to the device so you could bootload a new firmware.

This is what I want to do but more complex

The RX side will be on USART2 and instigated with a command. There will be another Pic connected to the main pic USART1 that it will need to be able to pipe the .hex to its bootloader.

My question is is there any loaders out there that will do that?

I have written a USB bootloader myself but that was mainly used on a pic18f14k50 I need to load to a Pic18f27Q10 and that has I think different architecture for flash writing.  I'm trying not to get involved with new work as I'm far behind in my current work. So any pointers or even example code would be a fantastic help if available.

Cheers

Tim

John Lawton

Tim,

I enlisted the help of Mikael Gustavsson who produces various bootloaders:
https://www.ds30loader.com/

He made a hex booloader for me that worked over an SPI bus from the master PIC, updating the bootloaders of up to 40 PICs on that bus. But obviously a UART type is also possible, in fact I see he offers one.

JonW

Les has posted a bootloader for the 18F27k42 written in Positron basic that is compatible with tiny bootloader, so this could be used as a base for you. I have been using Tiny Bootloader, and Evan, who runs it now will provide them with other controllers for a small fee.  I have purchased a couple from Evan now and they work flawlessly.