News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

Who in their right mind would pay this price???

Started by top204, May 25, 2023, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top204

I was scanning through ebay and came upon this extremely difficult to understand asking price...

First Book of Practical Electronic Projects

When the exact same book is listed for a lot less money on ebay here:

First Book of Practical Electronic Projects

What is this world coming too, and how can those people actually live with themselves knowing they are con artists that do fool the foolish into buying their, stupidly, over-priced items? I have that book in my, much loved, Bernards and Babani collection and it is certainly not rare or special!

I truly wish I understood the sheep mentality of humans and had the greed mentality of this society. I would be a wealthy man, but I would not be able to live with myself because of the guilt of ripping people off!

I would be crap in one of those TV programs about antiques and their stupid, artificial, prices, because I would definately say to them: "Are you F#*k#*g mad? That object is not worth a fraction of that price. It's a piece of second-hand junk!" LOL

towlerg

The whole cheaper new rather than used on ebay continues to baffle.

Dompie

.....but if you buy 10 of these expensive copies you get a lot of discount after all, the ebay site says: "BUY 10, GET 20% OFF"
 ;D  ;D

Johan

John Lawton

Les, maybe you should increase the Ebay price of Positron to match other 'bargains' there :)

flosigud

Seemingly my Babani books have increased in value despite being printed on paper that that will turn into dust soon.

top204

I adore my Babani books Flosi. They take me back to my boyhood in the early 1970s when I had to save up for quite a while to buy one, and was taken to the bookshop in our town centre and I used to look at them over and over on the shelf to see which one I could afford and which one was the better one to buy. And eventually Dad would tell me to; "Make your mind up Leslie, we don't have all day". Wonderful memories. :-)

So as soon as I could afford them when we moved to Fenland back in 2001, and I had a home I could feel settled in, and a wonderful wife. I bought them from car boot sales and ebay (before it was greed central). And some of the good people on here have sent me a few as well, and for that I am forever grateful. :-)

But capitalism and greed 'has' taken over, and for the people who want something because they truly love it and will cherish it, they cannot afford it because others are buying it as an asset to make money on, and nothing else. :-(

I wonder how much my Bernards books from the 1950s and written by Clive Sinclair and Bernard himself are worth? I payed about £1.00 each for them, many years ago, before the capitalism bubble started to expand exponentially here in the UK. But they are my treasured possessions, so I will have them on my bookshelf for as long as I have a bookshelf to place them on. :-)

HAL

But then, £1 in 1950 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £43.84 today.
And I thought ARRL was overcharging....

rick.curl

A few months back I spotted a "book" (actually 16 copied pages stapled together) on eBay about installation of an Insteon home automation system.  The price was $1800 US dollars, and, according to the listing, they had sold more than 10 of them. My suspicion is that this is a sneaky way of doing money laundering.   

-Rick

top204

QuoteBut then, £1 in 1950 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £43.84 today.

I bought them around about 2004 from Ebay for £1.00 each, before the greed took over it. It was once an excellent place for buying "second hand" items, but now it is so full of greed!

Rick... You just have to look at Apple for greed above all else, and they were always like that from the late 1970s onwards. They know there are an awful lot of idiots out there who will pay anything because it has a known name on it, regardless whether it is worth it or not, or crap or not, so they keep their prices up. Then other companies and individuals follow the trend and prices go up and up and up, because of the millions of sheeplike idiots who do not have common sense, or have more money than sense, and the normal people with common sense or not a lot of money have no choice but to pay silly prices... And it goes on and on and up and up. :-( Capitalism at its worst, with no regulation or control!

A 'person' I worked for used to state "I'd rather have a few people paying a lot of money than a lot of people paying less money", and that is capitalism, and very foolish, and greed orientated, in my opinion.