News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Is the Amicus18 loader included in Positron

Started by RGV250, Apr 28, 2023, 09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGV250

Hi,
I tried to install the Amicus18 loader via the install new programmer option (original IDE). It started to search but ages later it had nothing so I wondered if it is supported in Positron. It is a full 4.0 version, not the upgrade.

Regards,
Bob

RGV250

OK, I have just found out it is the microcode loader I need, the issue seems to be with the Amicus board but I cannot believe that all 3 have the same issue where it says I need to reset the board, that does nothing.
I tried downloading to the device directly with Pickit2 but all 4 fail with a vpp mismatch error.

Bob

DaveS

The Amicus Loader doesn't work with later versions of windows, it's the serial port driver in the app, try this, find the loader exe file right click select properties unblock if blocked then select Compatibility, then select Run this program in compatibility mode for XP, it may work not tried it.

Dave

RGV250

Hi Dave,
I think you are right, nothing has worked so far, when I look in devices it shows up but says driver not available. It does not even work in the serial communicator. Don't you just love Microsoft.
I have found somewhere that suggested using FT Prog to reset the FT232 IC, that should allow the serial communicator to work.

Bob

DaveS

Quote from: RGV250 on Apr 29, 2023, 08:57 AMHi Dave,
I think you are right, nothing has worked so far, when I look in devices it shows up but says driver not available. It does not even work in the serial communicator. Don't you just love Microsoft.
I have found somewhere that suggested using FT Prog to reset the FT232 IC, that should allow the serial communicator to work.

Bob

Or you could search your old files for Amicus18_Loader_Plus I can't find it, it was a modified version of the Amicus18_Loader, I released on the old site.

Dave

RGV250

Hi Dave,
It is definitely a Windows10 thing, gone back to Win7 and all is good. I very much doubt I would have that file as I hardly use Win10 for programming work, I hardly ever use it at all for that matter but an having to now.

Bob

JonW

What device are you using? I ve been using the tiny bootloader for flash devices now

Bob (G8GFA)

I found the attached file and some instructions on how to run it under windows 10. I've not tried it yet, but hopefully it will be of some use.

Cheers,

Bob

Amicus 18 loader.zip

DaveS

Quote from: Bob (G8GFA) on May 02, 2023, 04:32 PMI found the attached file and some instructions on how to run it under windows 10. I've not tried it yet, but hopefully it will be of some use.
Cheers,
Bob
Amicus 18 loader.zip

Hi Bob

Just one thing, I wouldn't rename the file, it could and used to get replaced by an update.
I did say that originaly.
I did have a better version, that would let you select any port, and as long as the Amicus18 bootloader was installed on a Amicus18 compatible chip it would work, if I find that version I will post it and and source.

If you need to install on another IDE

Display = Amicus18 Loader New
Filename = Amicus18_Loader_New.exe
Params = $long-hex-filename$ -iprogram

DaveS

RGV250

Thanks Dave, Bob,
It will be a while till I try it as the weather is nice so the garden beckons.

Hi JonW,
I have tried several bootloaders in the past but got nowhere, I believe there was an idiots guide on the last forum (I might be wrong) which would be nice as I do have a lot of issues with ageing Pickit 2's. I am hoping Evan (pickit plus) can do his magic on the Pickit 4 as that is awful.

Bob

JonW

The Tiny Bootloaders work 100%
Les wrote one on here for the 18F26/27k42 and that works really well.
The guy who re-wrote the tiny bootloader can build you a custom bootloader.  I have one for the 16F15376 and the 16F1825 and they both work flawlessly with Tiny bootloader program

PM me your address in the UK and I will send you a PIC18F27K42 dev board next week with Les Bootloader installed and can email you the loader and guidelines to get it running.  PM me your email and home address.  A few guys on here use the dev boards with no issues

Dompie

Quote from: JonW on May 04, 2023, 03:30 PMThe Tiny Bootloaders work 100%
PM me your address in the UK and I will send you a PIC18F27K42 dev board next week with Les Bootloader installed and can email you the loader and guidelines to get it running.  PM me your email and home address.  A few guys on here use the dev boards with no issues

Yes it is a perfect dev board and I have no issues at all. It is a joy to work with.

Johan