News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Forum color options for members

Started by gevv, Feb 27, 2021, 04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gevv

Hello,

style5.png

Style 1: Default
Style 2: Dark
Style 3: Dark blue
Style 4: Light red
Style 5: Light orange

keytapper

I like a dark theme and currently I'm using the firefox addon. But it  may not solve entirely the color matching.
Ignorance comes with a cost

John Drew

I'm guessing that a change of theme would affect everyone.
At present the current theme is excellent and a major improvement on the old forum. I wouldn't change it. The mobile support is great too. It's all very easy to read.
John

top204

Totally agree John. The current forum colours are excellent.

I am not sure if the theme is global or for the user's interface alone. Can you answer this question please Gevv?

Stephen Moss

Quote from: John Drew on Mar 01, 2021, 09:42 AMI'm guessing that a change of theme would affect everyone.
A change to a specific theme would affect everyone using that theme but most web forums are capable of supporting multiple themes and so different users can use whichever of the available themes they prefer as the theme basically just affects the way it appears in the users browser.
I am using the Dark theme at the moment, I generally prefer dark themes as I find them much more restful on the eyes and use them wherever I can i.e. for forums, in Outlook, JohnB's new IDE and Visual Studio.

gevv

Hello,

There is no change in the general style. It offers different options to the user.

John Drew

Ok, that's fine then. People can make a choice. Shows how flexible the new sysyem is.
John

keytapper

Quote from: gevv on Mar 01, 2021, 11:10 AMThere is no change in the general style. It offers different options to the user.
The former forum was offering a dark theme too, but did last only for the started session. So perhaps even this round is determined by the case whether the member will logout, isn't it?
Ignorance comes with a cost

gevv

Only members can choose a style. Guests (users who are not logged in) see forum default style

Stephen Moss

Quote from: keytapper on Mar 01, 2021, 03:43 PMThe former forum was offering a dark theme too, but did last only for the started session. So perhaps even this round is determined by the case whether the member will logout, isn't it?
Most forums that provide users with multiple themes give the user two options...
Preview: This only allows you to trial the selected theme, so its selection is not stored and only lasts until you logout. You are returned to the default theme next time you log in.
Use/Set: This stores the selected theme and you will then see that theme every time you log in unless there is a problem with the forum.

I don't recall using the Dark theme on the old forum, possibly because it did not retain the selection so I gave up on it. However, I can confirm that if you set a theme on this forum the setting is stored and you will be presented with your chosen theme every time you login. I set my profile to use the Dark theme yesterday and was automatically shown the Dark theme when I logged in again today.

top204

It is an excellent forum, and I cannot express in words how much I appreciate it. :-)

See_Mos

I agree with Les, I am really enjoying the new clear layout!