;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Sorry really OT a question about wall mount enclosures

Started by TimB, Feb 03, 2023, 06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimB

Hi all

Probably not the forum to ask this...

I want to build a device into wall mounted enclosure. (Like below). The system will be 12v powered using a din rail mounted Power Supply

Now my question is. Do I need to have the power switch on the front to isolate it before opening the unit or can I have mains switch / fuse inside.

Thanks

Tim

Enclosure.png

RGV250

Hi Tim,
Hard to say, it really depends on the companies standards where you are installing it. Where I used to work it had to have a door interlocked isolator so it physically could be opened until the isolator was turned off. Most ended up breaking over time. A bit overkill for what you are looking to do, I have also seen the isolator mounted on the side of the enclosure. Will a label on the door stating isolate before opening suffice. Does it need a built in isolator, could it have an external fused spur.

Bob

TimB

Thanks Bob

I think I will do the side mounted power.

It is a prototype for a company I'm trying to sell a design too. If they take it then they can worry about that stuff.

Tim

keytapper

For device for continuous use 24/7, it might be useful.
For risky operations the E-button may need to be there. Let's figure a condition, for a minimum risk, like operating a electrovalve for water, none will appreciate to see flooding around in case of unexpected situation.
Then the last point is the budget for the installation  ;D
Ignorance comes with a cost

joesaliba

Tim,

If you want to disconnect supply you can do a small microswitch with the door that controls a small contactor / relay. When the door is opened, power to the circuit is disconnected.

Even though you can make a rotatable isolator to the door, mains are still in there after opening.

As Bob said, usually these isolators end breaking over time.

Joe

TimB

Thanks Joe

There will be a need to have power on with the door open. I'm going to use a side rotary switch with a big warning on the side.

The mains wiring will be just to the power supply then its all 12V so the chance of sticking your fingers in the main is very small.

Tim

RGV250

Hi Tim,
I would put the notice on the door as that is where access will be made and it might be missed on the side. The isolator and power terminals should be IP20 minimum so it should be fingerproof.
Also as it is a protype this is probably not necessary or applicable in your application but we used to specify a programming port was included so the programmer could be connected without the need to open the door.

Bob

Yasin

There are many products in this style from different brands. The switch mechanical arm is mounted on the cover. The switch never allows the door to be opened before it is set to the zero "0" position.

https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/ww/Catalog/Product/?mlfb=3LD3048-0TK53

TimB

Quote from: RGV250 on Feb 05, 2023, 07:07 PMHi Tim,
I would put the notice on the door as that is where access will be made and it might be missed on the side. The isolator and power terminals should be IP20 minimum so it should be fingerproof.
Also as it is a protype this is probably not necessary or applicable in your application but we used to specify a programming port was included so the programmer could be connected without the need to open the door.

Bob

Hi Bob

Sorry it was a typo I meant the warning would be on the front and the switch on the side. Yes to finger proof.

Tim