News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Power line communication

Started by shantanu@india, Dec 24, 2022, 05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shantanu@india

Hi,
Never really tried PLC as a serious alternative to wireless. Are they reliable?
Just came across this Microchip product....
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/product/mpl460a
Regards
Shantanu

RGV250

Hi,
They do work, I tried Devolo and TPLink (I think) to an outbuilding and both worked but I had a lot of connection issues with TPLink when I switched off the device at the far end and it took a lot of messing around to get it to reconnect. I do not recall any issues with the Devolo.
I have now overcome the issue with a cable that has power and built in CAT5, it is meant for EV car chaegers.
https://www.electricpoint.com/ev-ultra-4mm-3-core-cat5-swa-cable-1m.html

The other thing that makes a big difference is that it is supposed to be on the same cicuit IE no circuit breakers in the route, also no extension leads.

Bob

shantanu@india

Thanks Bob.
Power and CATV integrated? Then the power must be DC referenced to the same signal ground as the signal.
By "power" we usually mean 415V/3ph/50Hz.
Regards
Shantanu

JonW

The best technology to look for is G.Hn, Devolo uses this technology.   Much more reliable than standard PLC and can support very high speeds. 

We are currently developing industrial G.Hn modules for twisted pair or coax use and can get data rates close to 1Gbit upto 60dB of attenuation then dropping to 400Mbit at 90dB so can be used over very long distances.
The G.Hn chipsets can also be used in node based systems and can support simultaneous high speed serial and Ethernet.  So you can effectively ride the connection on RS232/RS485 data lines. 

JonW

Quote from: shantanu@india on Dec 26, 2022, 09:22 AMThanks Bob.
Power and CATV integrated? Then the power must be DC referenced to the same signal ground as the signal.
By "power" we usually mean 415V/3ph/50Hz.

Yes it's a cable for single phase or 3 phase mains with a separate insulated and isolated cat5 cable embedded in the cable. I used this for my EV charger thus did not have to run a separate CV transformer line, also useful if you are out of WiFi range and need a direct Internet connection to the charger itself.  They are used alot in solar PV EV charge systems to connect and balance the mains and PV.

shantanu@india

Got the price of TPlink... about 25 dollars in India.
Devolo is not advertising /delivering in this area it seems.
Regards
Shantanu