News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

A better search engine?

Started by See_Mos, Dec 18, 2022, 12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

See_Mos

Microsoft Edge default search engine Bing / Yahoo is a really awful.  Almost all of each and every page starts with the same rubbish and it is repeated over and over again and so is almost every other piece of information it finds, you are lucky if you get one or two relevant hits per page.

Does anyone know of a search engine which is more suited to people like us who are interested in electronics?

John Lawton

Why don't you search for one?

Sorry :)

towlerg

FWIW I use Duckduckgo. Unlike Google it says it dosen't track usage. Probably the worst thing about it is it's name.

Gary Scott

Quote from: towlerg on Dec 18, 2022, 01:29 PMFWIW I use Duckduckgo. Unlike Google it says it dosen't track usage. Probably the worst thing about it is it's name.

You get better search results with duckduckgo also. Do a A/B comparison to see for yourself. :-)

See_Mos

Now, now John, is that a little bit of sarcasm I detect?

You can't beat experience which is why I asked.

Tomorrow I will fire up my old W7 machine as that has Duckduckgo installed and give it a try

Gary Scott

OT for this topic but the Brave browser is worth a look into also. It's light weight and blocks a lot of trackers.  https://brave.com/

keytapper

I use https://www.startpage.com
It seems to fetch the searches from Google, but anonymously, so it doesn't track one's preference. In addition it's possible to visit sites in an anonymous fashion.
Anyway all sites, nowadays, using scripts and many are calling googlesindacate.com.
Ignorance comes with a cost

John Lawton

Quote from: See_Mos on Dec 18, 2022, 04:52 PMNow, now John, is that a little bit of sarcasm I detect?

You can't beat experience which is why I asked.

Tomorrow I will fire up my old W7 machine as that has Duckduckgo installed and give it a try
Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

You don't have to use Win7, when in Edge, go to: edge://settings/search in the address bar and select DuckDuckGo or your other alternative search engine.