News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Opening two files side by side.

Started by david, Nov 10, 2022, 08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david

Hi All,
What's the best way to view two files side by side.   I'm sure back in the early days I could open the compiler twice and just scroll through each file separately but that no longer seems to work. 

Cheers,
David

See_Mos

Open one in the original editor and one in Positron Studio is how I do it at the moment but there may be a better way.

shantanu@india

Use Notepad++ for a tabbed environment if you don't need to compile.
Regards
Shantanu

david

Thanks for both those suggestions.
I don't currently use the Positron Studio but I'm willing to give it a go. 

Notepad++?   I've resorted to Notepad in the past but the formatting was all messed up.  That's an easy one to try.

Thanks and cheers,
David

Maxi

david

I just downloaded and installed Notepad++ and that maintains the formatting and seems to do all I need - thank you.
I had previously wondered if I was doing something wrong when I couldn't open the compiler twice but it seems to be an older Windows things.  Quite useful at times.

Cheers,
David

keytapper

Quote from: shantanu@india on Nov 10, 2022, 10:42 AMUse Notepad++ for a tabbed environment if you don't need to compile.
The notepad++ can be used to launch the compilation.
Well not like the provided editor, just a different environment to get used to.
Ignorance comes with a cost

RGV250

Hi,
As Maxi said, Winmerge is the program to use, been using it for years.
Here is a screenshot viewing 3 files.
Far left shows where the differences are in the file and the bit in view shows lines with the differences (Yellow) and differences on the lines (in grey)
WinmergeCompare3files.jpg

david

Gosh!  Side by side by side comparisons.   It does look good.   Might have to try that one too.

Many thanks.
David