Main Menu

New PICs

Started by Giuseppe MPO, Nov 05, 2022, 01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giuseppe MPO

Looking through the list of the latest and most powerful Microchips,
I found and bought these.
Do you think he took a scam?
Leaving the jokes aside, and hoping not to be too OT, I found these PICs in a drawer,
and they awakened old memories, now from several decades ago.
My first PICs obviously programmed in assembler.

PIC.jpg

TimB

When I started with pic's I had to use UV to erase them. I found the Z88 eeprom eraser worked great

shantanu@india

I used 2732/2864/27256 UV erasable EPROMs in my 8085 days.
Regards
Shantanu

top204

I still have one of those windowed devices in a drawer somewhere. It is the 12C508 device and I first got involved with PICs when I was modding the Sony PlayStation units, and that used a PIC12C508 device to intercept the I2C signal and give a "corrected" signal back to the unit. So I had to have a re-programmable device for tests. But, I dumped the other windowed devices I had, way back when, and my EPROM UV eraser :-( I have the Z88 UV eraser that Tim kindly sent me, in a box to take to our home and put on display.

It was a brand new world back then, and I was used to working with Z80 and 6502 microcoprocessors and the UV EPROMs to hold their O\S, and with seperate static RAM. Then to get I/Os working, it needed a PIO device, or the wonderful AY38910, 3-channel sound chip with two I/O ports on it as well. So the single board with several components was shrunk to a single device. Not as powerful or flexible back then, but so exciting to learn. :-)

I just wish I had kept the other windowed devices I had, including my EPROMs. They would be wonderful in a picture frame for nostalgia. If you make a picture frame with the devices in it Giuseppe, please post a photo of it on the forum.

charliecoutas

Shantanu

You and I seem to have had parallel lives. I too used 27256 in my 80-86 days.

Les

I well remember using Z80 with all the trimmings. I then discovered the Zilog Z8000 which was a 16 bit CPU which ran like a bat out of hell. I built and sold several protocol converters into the ICL (International Computers) market. They enabled cheap monitors to talk to ICL mainframes over telephone lines (with the dreaded Modems).

I still have a few UV EPROMs somewhere, if I find them I'll send you a few.

Happy days
Charlie

Dompie

Oh yessss, my Apple II time comes back to my memory. Yes for the enhanced character set and on the extension cards for my own 8" drive and my first HD. Yes it was a fun time with the Apple II but that was many many years ago.

Johan

Giuseppe MPO

Quote from: top204 on Nov 05, 2022, 10:14 AMI just wish I had kept the other windowed devices I had, including my EPROMs. They would be wonderful in a picture frame for nostalgia. If you make a picture frame with the devices in it Giuseppe, please post a photo of it on the forum.

Hi Les,
I still have a lot of very old components, put aside when I was still a kid. Unfortunately many I didn't know what to do with even older components and many years ago I threw them away.
What I regret most are magnetic bubble memory cards, or sonic memory, he memorized data by placing impulses on a metal spiral, a true work of art. But I still have many old chips, EPROMs (2516,2716 etc etc), but also RAM, CPU and many other old components. If you tell me what you are interested in, I can take any photos.6502_Z80.jpg