News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Windows 10 won't compile

Started by GaryC, Oct 31, 2022, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryC

After years on XP with Proton I moved to Windows 10, it loads but when I compile it just searches for the Compiler file and not finding it, not sure of what the problem is I Miss XP allready!

TimB

Proton is I fear no longer supported. So best to upgrade to Positron. There have been many many updates since Proton was overtaken by Positron.

https://sites.google.com/view/rosetta-tech/home

GaryC

Ya I have Positron I should have said that.

TimB

Did you do a fresh install or just copy the files over?

GaryC

I did a fresh copy, I think it was the original 4.0.0.7-1.1.04

GaryC

I tried it on a Windows 8 laptop worked fine.

Dompie

Did you install the purchased version first because that is the complete package that has been generated especially for you. The subsequent versions are all updates performed on your original version.

Johan

GaryC

Yes, I had it on a Thumb drive as original from Les and I am going to try installing on another Computer today it may be error in Thumb Drive.

GaryC

Took the same Positron program  to another Computer worked fine, Windows is a strange and complicated Beast.

Stephen Moss

It might be dependant on the combination of how your user account is set up, which account you used to install compared to the one you generally access it from, whether or not you installed for the current user or all users, and/or that remnants of an old install are directing things to the wrong file/folder.

Personally, although it is a bit tedious I would do a complete clear-out as detailed below and then re-install. 
  • Try uninstalling and ensure there are no copies of Proton/Positon still listed under programs in the control panel, if any entry won't uninstall leave it.
  • Reboot
  • In the "Type here to search" thing enter regedit to find and open open the registry editor, then do a search in the editor for PDS, Proton and Positron, delete any entries found and close the editor.
  • Reboot and then navigate to Windows\Users\Your_UserName\Appdata\Roaming and delete any PDS/Proton/Positon Folder (you will need Show hidden folders)
  • Do the Same for Windows\Users\Administrator\Appdata\Roaming
  • Go to Windows\Program Files (x86) and delete and Proton/Positron/PDS folders
  • Reboot & then RE-install

No guarantees but that usually works for me when a program goes screwy on me and a simple uninstall/re-install does not fix it.

See_Mos

On my new Windows 11 computer I installed Positron first then the latest update then Positron Studio.

When I came to test them Positron Studio would compile ok but the original Mecanique version would not.

I uninstalled Positron then ran a registry cleaner then reinstalled my registered version of Proton followed by the update and everything worked as it should.

Yes, Windows is a strange beast. W11 does it's absolute best to stop you from changing default programs to what you might want to use and all of the much repeated crappy advice out there on the internet does nothing to help

HAL

Hi See_Mos
One has to really dislike an Operating System that does everything it can to not be an "operating system"!  I am adapting to W10 and Classic Shell is making the OS a bit more user friendly.  Initially, W10 reported every file I loaded as containing a virus and I did not realize that one had to "hover" the mouse pointer to get an invisible slide bar to appear in order to select the L through Z headings of the menu...  And microlost store?  I thought I hand landed at a used car lot..

I think I'm going to refer to it as "Broken Windows" from now on.....

Best regards

GaryC

I tried every suggestion and none worked, Removed all files and Cleaned the Registry, restarts, Positron just can't find the Compile Operation file and I even tried loading the original proton of the CD and no luck.
I am going to see if I can get a new windows 10 reinstall from a friend, it works fine on XP and Windows 8.
Thanks
Gary

TimB

Gary

What do you mean "Compile Operation file"?

JonW

You could install a virtual machine running XP withing your existing OS.  Have you tried running the application as administrator or in compatibility mode?

GaryC

I will have to talk with my Windows expert friend and see what I can do, Thanks to all the super people on this Forum.

Stephen Moss

I forgot that Win10 and presumably 11 have two modes, normal and S mode.
As I recall in S mode it dose not really like it if you install stuff that is NOT from the Microsoft Store so it might be worth checking if that is part of the problem, and switch it to normal mode if it is currently operating in S mode.   

HAL

Thanks Stephen

Positron compiles fine on my W10 machine.  Needless to mention that I had no idea there was an "S" mode. 
There is a site giving details on how to out of "S" mode.  Reading the link I get the impression that the home version of W11 is "S" mode only....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switching-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-4f56d9be-99ec-6983-119f-031bfb28a307

charliecoutas

That link above points to this text:

Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.

It sounds as though Microsoft is saying: "Only use software from our range, otherwise you will be punished because your Win machine will run slower and cause you problems. We mean it: that is why it is a one-way switch. And we won't charge you anything but be it on your neck."

Is this legal?

Charlie

towlerg

Quote from: charliecoutas on Nov 06, 2022, 01:40 PMThat link above points to this text:

Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.

It sounds as though Microsoft is saying: "Only use software from our range, otherwise you will be punished because your Win machine will run slower and cause you problems. We mean it: that is why it is a one-way switch. And we won't charge you anything but be it on your neck."

Is this legal?

Charlie

I wonder what happens if you restore a FULL backup?