News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Cannot save file message or close Studio

Started by See_Mos, Oct 26, 2022, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

See_Mos

I loaded seven old codes into Studio to search for something but now I cannot close them or Studio using the normal methods. Instead I always get an error.

Screenshot_20221026_165836.png

I cannot compile the codes and when I move the mouse cursor over the toolbar it just changes to an hourglass

Yves

mmmmh! I will stick to the original and flawless Mecanique Proton IDE, it is one the only PC application that I never had any issues whatsoever and that until something really exciting comes up.

Yves
Yves

See_Mos

I would not normally have so many files open at the same time anyway. I did manage to close Studio using Windows task manager.

The original editor does have one problem, if you have three or more codes open than after a long editing session it can overwrite the wrong file if you are not carefull.

JohnB

It sounds like the mci file was being held open by another application. Is it possible that you also had one of your files open in ProtonIDE. The mci file simply holds the file metadata items like the last cursor position, version number etc. Positron Studio also uses it to hold data like Bookmarks
JohnB

HAL

Hello

I have had similar problems to what See_Mos has described with the Mecanique IDE.  I had multiple files open and it seemed that the IDE had some internal confusion as to which file was to be compiled.  I had assumed the file displayed on the screen was what would be compiled but not so with multiple files present.  As a result, I use the Close Page command under the IDE's FILE tab to close out all files each time after I am finished using the Mecanique IDE.   I have not had any other problem(s) with it.

Also, with some of the issues I have had with ending  (or trying to end)  a session of MPLABX  IPE using PicKit4, the Windows Task Manager is pinned to my task bar permanently.... 

Using W7.  Still trying to work up the nerve / courage to install positron on the W10 machine.... 

Best regards

HAL

See_Mos

Hi John, I'll give it a try later, it is possible that Both editors were open but I don't think they were.

Hi Hal,  I have been putting of upgrading for years but my W7 machine decided on a go slow so I had little choice especially as some later software and upgrades were running very slow.  The new PC compiles a big Positron file in a flash (?) so I am well pleased.

John Drew

Hi Hal,
Positron works well on W10.
John

joesaliba

Been using W10 nearly since it was out. Never had a problem.

To be honest, all other Windows systems I had, including 7, I had to do a format and reinstall everything every 8 months.

With Windows 10 never had to do this for all these years. It has it defects? Maybe. But since all is running ok it is not an issue for me.

Joe

HAL

Regarding the Mecanique IDE, it is a great basic IDE (no pun intended) and I have been using it for a few years without any issues until the multiple file problem occurred.   I forgot to mention that I have started using 2 commands under the FILE tab to remove all files from the IDE (after saving and/or compiling of course).  What seems to clear the files from the IDE:  Select the FILE tab and use the Close All command and then the EXIT command.  Upon reentering the IDE take a look at the two arrows inside green circles below the Compile button on the upper left side of the screen.  With no files present, the green circles will be "greyed out".  With files present one or both of the green circles will be lit.

The version of W7 I'm using is W7 Professional/C2009/Service pack 1.  The only W7 complaint I have is that of the heavy access to the disk drive (especially on startup) and the resulting time delay can be annoying.   I am sure that Positron works well on W10 but I am not sure how well I will work on W10... ;)

HAL

JohnB

JohnB

John Lawton

Quote from: HAL on Oct 29, 2022, 03:34 AMThe version of W7 I'm using is W7 Professional/C2009/Service pack 1.  The only W7 complaint I have is that of the heavy access to the disk drive (especially on startup) and the resulting time delay can be annoying.  I am sure that Positron works well on W10 but I am not sure how well I will work on W10... ;)

I now run Windows 7 with an SSD and so disk speed loading the multiple files at boot up is not a problem anymore.