News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Smart meter transmission format

Started by charliecoutas, Oct 12, 2022, 09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliecoutas

Does anyone know how a smart meter communicates with the monitor that sits in the kitchen/hall etc?
It would be useful to be able to process that info.

I'm in the UK, in case that makes a difference.

Charlie

shantanu@india

What smart meter is this Charlie? Energy? Is it wireless?
Regards
Shantanu

charliecoutas

Yes. It's my electricity and gas meters. They transmit their readings back by radio to the supplier and also to a local monitor (by radio too). It's the monitor signals I am after.

Stephen Moss

I am sure I asked the engineer when they put mine in but I cannot remember for sure how they connect to the local monitor beyond it being a low power wireless connection, may be bluetooth or something similar like zigbee as there is only one place I can really put my in home display where it will connect and even then the connection sometimes drops out.

I do however, recall him saying that some form of LAN is created between the meters and the local monitor and the readings are sent back to the supplier via the mobile phone network as one of the meters (I think the electric one for safety) has a sim card. Although it is possible other meters do things differently and that only applies to the ones they were installing at the time.

JonW

charliecoutas

Stephen, JONW  thanks, that gives me something to go on.

Charlie