News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Bike lock

Started by shantanu@india, Oct 08, 2022, 09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shantanu@india

Hi,
Attached is the photograph of the PCB of the electronic locking system of an App bicycle.
It can be unlocked by a mobile phone(NFC/Bluetooth?) after scanning the QR code printed on the cycle. Of course, the mobile phone communicates with the cloud server to receive the unlocking code after the server verifies the payment.
Can you identify the major components? I've been told that it uses a STM32 processor.IMG-20221008-WA0005.jpg
Regards
Shantanu

shantanu@india

Could identity RN4871 Bluetooth module from Microchip and L86 M33 GPS module from Quectel.
Regards
Shantanu

keytapper

Funny. A bike locked to the cloud :-D
Ignorance comes with a cost

top204

Unfortunately, the human species is now obsessed with the internet and the cloud, and this "utterly" nonsensical "IOT"! Even though it is the most over-complex mechanism and the most easy to go wrong, and be hacked within seconds, even from the other side of the planet! Then storing, sometimes, important and very private information on third party servers that can, and are, scanned to see if there is anything valuable or any, "whatever is classed as incorrect to say or think or write now", in them.

The same with this mobile phone nonsense, where people have everything on the phone, then when it gets stolen, their bank account is emptied!!! And again, not to mention the constant tracking of a person with one!

To my dying breath I will never understand the thoughts of the sheep... Sorry humans. :-) I think that is why I am not a wealthy person, because I never understood how they think, so I could not exploit them. :-) Not that I wanted too, but it seems a normal and acceptable practice now. :-(

There are metals now that are extremely hard to cut, even with a grinder, so why not simply use a padlock and a chain made of the newer metals for them? I did for about 10 years and I never had any problems with it, and it never broke or ran out of batteries or was hacked or logged where I was or had been. People are actually causing the scenario George wrote in his book "1984", themselves, through unnoticeable coercion over time, but he was just a few decades too early with his date. LOL.

RGV250

Hi,
Does it actually lock or is it just an alarm? It looks like it is made of plastic so even if it did lock a few seconds with a lever would break it.

Bob

shantanu@india

I think you have entirely misunderstood the word "lock".These are cheap bicycles which are docked at docking stations. Nobody has any remotest intent of breaking the "lock" and stealing!!Common people pedal to their respective working places everyday after arriving from the suburbs in crowded trains and there are hundreds of such docking stations all over the Indian metro cities.Who says that we are not environment friendly??
The cost of hiring the cycle is nominal and the payment is online. You just need to bring your Bluetooth enabled phone close to the "lock" to "unlock" it and happily pedal away.
No one in his or her senses would use a hammer or a hacksaw to break the lock simply because its not worth the effort. Also these docking stations are placed at roadside curbs near busy intersections having lot of cctv coverage.
These "App" bicycles are now being sold in thousands and the only "lock" maker seems to be a Chinese company. Big market out there.
Les.. FYI there are about 12000 cycles and 800 docking stations in London!!!
Regards
Shantanu

trastikata

shantanu,

I think it would be much easier and faster designing a new "lock" based on the functionality requirements than reverse engineering this one.

- GPS module for geopositioning
- NFC module from MC for close communication
- Wi-Fi module for communication with access point at the docking station
- GPRS module for remote tracking and additional servicing
- Buzzer and LEDs for signaling
- MCU

Most of the work will be writing the firmware to combine all of this, but if you had experience with any particular modules, then you will have the code already and it is a question of simple modifications.

P.s. I see way too many components there for the functionality you describe, which puzzles me. I think I see some additional antennae there which I can't explain given that the modules have their own antennae, maybe some long-range RF communication too, like LoRa or SigFox? 

shantanu@india

Thanks Trastikata... you are full of ideas.  as always!
Yes its better to redesign keeping the fuctionality intact. By functionality you have to include the communication protocol with the server API... replacing one lock with another has to be bumpless. Of course to do that you need to tie up with the bike service provider who maintains the cloud code and collects the money.
The lock doesn't need to communicate with the cloud.  Your mobile phone fetches the unlocking code from the cloud and transfers the same to the lock via Bluetooth /NFC.
Regards
Shantanu

JonW

I cant see the need for such elaborate comms for a $10 push bike! The other circuitry could easily be charging/basic Ebike control as the module could be generic and used for E-Bikes or can be ported to an E-bike later once you have the network operational and money flowing from the basic system, you can then upgrade seamlessly.   Notice at the top of the PCB MOT+ MOT- , maybe for motor control or drive control to a motor.  Cant think of any other reason you would require a chunky PTC fuse and relays if you are working with a few hundred mA

Even has a reed relay on the bottom left probably to initiate a dock or some basic comms.  The white tile on the Right is a 915MHz ISM antenna that can cover multiple protocols RFID/ZigBEE and general ISM bands.  Looks like a pretty basic module based design, could definitely be scope for cost reduction if the volumes are high enough.   

shantanu@india

Thanks Jon.
I'll get a working sample soon.
Shall keep the forum updated.
Regards
Shantanu