News:

;) This forum is the property of Proton software developers

Main Menu

Any use for the old Proton key?

Started by Yves, Sep 30, 2022, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yves

I hate thronging things away. I was wondering if the old Proton key could be use for anything?

Regards,

Yves
Yves

Yasin

It can be used as a keychain.  :)

Giuseppe MPO

I have an old Proton key, but even after buying a Positron copy if I don't insert the key it doesn't work.

RGV250

Hi,
Did you get the full copy or the upgrade, if you got the full copy it should not be needed whereas the upgrade does.
QuoteI have an old Proton key, but even after buying a Positron copy if I don't insert the key it doesn't work.

Bob

Ivano

Quote from: Giuseppe MPO on Oct 01, 2022, 09:34 PMI have an old Proton key, but even after buying a Positron copy if I don't insert the key it doesn't work.
If it does it even with the full copy it uninstalls Proton completely and installs Positron which works without a key

towlerg

Quote from: Yves on Sep 30, 2022, 10:57 AMI hate thronging things away. I was wondering if the old Proton key could be use for anything?

Regards,

Yves

USB dust cover?

top204

The purchased Positron compilers do not need the USB key at all.

Make sure you have installed the Positron compilers and are using them and not the original Proton compilers. To make sure, uninstall the Proton compilers, then re-install the Positron compilers.

QuoteI hate thronging things away. I was wondering if the old Proton key could be use for anything?

It would be lovely to see a video of you placing the USB key on the ground and smashing it to pieces with a hammer. :-) My ties to "that" company and people is now "very much dead" and that will be a good reminder to me that it is so, and to never fall for that type of company again. :-)

Giuseppe MPO

Hello Les,
I bought the Positron compiler but if I install the 4.0.0.0 version you sent me I can't get it to work, it only works if I first install the 3.7.5.5 version (with a key) and then I upgrade to 4.0.0.0. It just works like this.

Ivano

Quote from: Giuseppe MPO on Oct 02, 2022, 06:22 PMHello Les,
I bought the Positron compiler but if I install the 4.0.0.0 version you sent me I can't get it to work, it only works if I first install the 3.7.5.5 version (with a key) and then I upgrade to 4.0.0.0. It just works like this.
Hello Giuseppe,
In C: / programs (x86) rename ProtonIDE to ProtonIDE_old and install Positron. A new ProtonIDE folder will be created with Positron.
Everything should work without the dongle.

Giuseppe MPO

I installed Positron on a new machine, where the Proton had never been installed, but that just doesn't work, it doesn't do a complete installation. If I try to compile any program it gives me this error:

A registration is required for device PIC18F25K22. Please contact storypainter@hotmail.com for registration.
Free 8-bit devices are:
PIC16F84, PIC16F628, PIC16F628A, PIC16F877, PIC16F877A, PIC12F1552, PIC16F1826, PIC18F25K20 and PIC18F45K20
[Done] exited with code=0 in 1.3 seconds

while if I insert the dongle it gives me:

Unrecognised microcontroller type.
Cannot find its corresponding .PPI file.
Make sure it has one in the compiler's Includes\PPI folder.
If not, then it is not yet supported by the compiler.
[Done] exited with code=0 in 1.3 seconds

The only way to work, and which I have always used in my machine, is to install Proton 3.7.5.5 and then update with Positron vers. 4.0.0.0,and I need to insert the dongle.

Ivano

Quote from: Giuseppe MPO on Oct 02, 2022, 10:51 PMA registration is required for device PIC18F25K22. Please contact storypainter@hotmail.com for registration.
Free 8-bit devices are:
PIC16F84, PIC16F628, PIC16F628A, PIC16F877, PIC16F877A, PIC12F1552, PIC16F1826, PIC18F25K20 and PIC18F45K20

You have probably downloaded the trial version of Positron which is limited to a few pic

Ivano

The purchased version must have your name in the file

top204

Version 4.00 was the "upgrade" from the Proton name to the Positron name eary last year, that cost less than the full Positron compilers.

See the Whats New.html file that comes with all teh compiler updates and upgrades and scroll down to the section for version 4.0.0.0.

It still needs the USB key, and the documentation that was present with it online, did state that it will eventually be out-of-date and require a full Positron compiler. The Positron compilers use a softwre registeration method based upon the individual's ID, and will "never" require a USB key or any other silly thing that has to be plugged into the computer. :-)

As Ivano has stated, press the F2 key and check the header text of the assembler code produced by the compiler. If your ID is nt in the header's text, it is still the "Proton" compiler and still requires the USB key and will eventually be removed and all updates and upgrades will not work with it.

Giuseppe MPO

Hello Les,
maybe for my bad english, (i always use google translate), i didn't think i bought an update, i thought i had a copy of the Positron compiler.
When I bought the compiler I didn't see that there was a cheap "upgrade" version, it will mean that I will get a full copy so I don't use the dongle.