News:

PROTON pic BASIC Compilers for PIC, PIC24, dsPIC33

Main Menu

PicKit wanted

Started by See_Mos, Sep 08, 2022, 03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

See_Mos

Has anyone got a spare Pickit that I could buy please?

Mine PicKit 2 just stopped working.  I think the bootloader has been corrupted because I get a message telling me to check the USB port.  The port on the PC is OK, the Pickit is getting power and oscillating, the USB connections are sound.

I don't have a spare programmer of any sort to try and reprogram the internal PIC.

I did see some very dodgy looking ones on Ebay, has anybody tried one?

diebobo

Pickit 2 on ebay always worked fine, don't go for the 3. That one is slowwww.

Have u tried to revive it ? Use mplab, perhaps it need other firmware.

RGV250

See_Mos

Thanks Bob, I saw that but had not realised that it was from the picket plus team. I will get one ordered and wait for the post office to end their strike.

atomix

shantanu@india

My PICKit3 works fine... absolutely no problems.
But all said and done, my Presto is better
Regards
Shantanu

Ivano

I have Pickit3 with mplab ipe and everything works fine

flosigud

I have two Pickit 2. The bootloader has failed in both of them. I use the other Pickit to fix the issue. Now one of them has the program connector broken off. I might eventually fix that but in the meantime, I bought two Pickit's of eBay for U$ 15, each.

towlerg

Quote from: Ivano on Sep 09, 2022, 05:50 AMI have Pickit3 with mplab ipe and everything works fine

IPE is horrible, enough to take up self harming. Look at PicKitPlus, it's sooooooo much faster.

John Lawton

Ever since starting work with PIC's I've use an MeLabs programmer, the latest incarnation is this:
http://store.melabs.com/cat/u2.html

I suppose someone will tell me it's no good for something or other :)

John

trastikata

Quote from: John Lawton on Sep 09, 2022, 02:07 PMI suppose someone will tell me it's no good for something or other :)

;D I'd be the first to complain about the price ... 120$ seems excessive.

Bought original PICKit 3 for 35 USD from Microchip, bought as well an Aliexpress knockoff for 12 USD, guess which works best - the 12$ knockoff  ;)

Ivano

Quote from: towlerg on Sep 09, 2022, 12:15 PM
Quote from: Ivano on Sep 09, 2022, 05:50 AMI have Pickit3 with mplab ipe and everything works fine

IPE is horrible, enough to take up self harming. Look at PicKitPlus, it's sooooooo much faster.
I will have to try picplus but it is paid.
For ipe if it is only for the programming speed the only negative aspect there are no problems, I am fine

towlerg

Quote from: Ivano on Sep 09, 2022, 06:25 PM
Quote from: towlerg on Sep 09, 2022, 12:15 PM

I will have to try picplus but it is paid.
For ipe if it is only for the programming speed the only negative aspect there are no problems, I am fine

PICKitPlus Basic Suite costs £23, and IMHO it is totally worth it. BTW the basic suite supports both PK2 and PK3. I'm sure if you asked Evan nicely he'd give you a trial ver.  If you try it, you'll never go back.

Mapo

I have PickitPlus, but I also tested PickitMinus, it's free and updates frequently.

http://kair.us/projects/pickitminus/

See_Mos

I already have PicKit Plus, it's fast and unlike the original you do not have to remember to turn off EEPROM programming as the default is OFF.

I ordered one of Evans kits and one of the Chinese copies as well

Ivano

Thank you very much Towlerg

charliecoutas

I too have ordered one of the PICKIT2 kits from

https://pickitplus.co.uk/Typesetter/index.php/PICKit2-Programmer-Kit

Easy to build, worked first time. Highly recommended. Thanks for the heads up.

Charlie

See_Mos

Even with all my years of soldering and using a Weller temperature controlled iron with a fine tip I found some of the soldering tricky, especially the transistors. Probably due to the problems caused by RHOS, the component leads did not tin easily.

It worked first time and though it took a couple of goes I was able to revive my original PicKit2.  The bootloader.hex file is included in the PicKit Plus suite.

charliecoutas

See_Mos

I am still using the original PicKit2 software. I don't know about software for the new device, am I missing something?

Best
Charlie

See_Mos

No, it was just that my original Pickit 2 died and I was able to revive it using the new programmer.

The kit comes with a pre-programmed PIC