News:

Let's find out together what makes a PIC Tick!

Main Menu

Search and replace problems

Started by See_Mos, Aug 01, 2022, 04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

See_Mos

Hi John,

Search and replace sometimes gets tied into knots.

I have some code with hundreds of lines many the same laid out in blocks. I want to change words within a block using the settings 'Prompt On Replace', 'Start Search From = Current Position', 'Direction = Down'.

I put the cursor at a line above the block of code to change and start making changes occasionally it, or I, will miss one.  If I then move the cursor up above the missed line and try to replace the word the cursor moves to the last line of code, several hundred lines below.

If I close the replace pane and try again the search comes back with 'No Results Found' and if I try a third time the Replace pane has the OK, Replace, and Replace All buttons greyed out.

Why hundreds of lines the same?  Loops are playing havoc with the timing because of the time taken to process the loop code

JohnB

I'm sorry, I know there are issues with Search and replace and basically I need to re-write from scratch.
when I get my development system back running I will try and address this as a priority.

Having used the ide in earnest now I have a list of changes as long as my arm to address.
JohnB

John Lawton

When you eat your own dogfood, you are impelled to improve it. Lol.

keytapper

I highly appreciate the JohnB's works. My apologies if I prefer Kate, which can make a search/replace in a highlighted area.
So probably John may have a peep on the source of Kate :P
Ignorance comes with a cost

atomix

VSCode IDE can also search and replace in selected text.