Trying to resolve issues with searching / replacing search whole project

Started by TimB, Jul 20, 2022, 03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimB

Hi,

Is there any tips on how to make search work properly?
I'm doing a bit of coding and have multiple inc files open. A lot of the code was done by others and I need to understand and modify it to the way I like to code

The biggest issue is not knowing where Procs variables etc. I have to highlight the text and hit F3. That works for the current document but jumping to another file it forgets the variable. Ok so use ctrl R and bring up the search box. It works like F3 in that (most of the time) it finds the text in the document.
If you move then to another file it may or may not find the text in search term. It depends if you had text highlighted in that file. If you do the search box get filled with the wrong text.

I have tried to set up my code as a project and do a project wide search but that does not work. You may get something in the window at the bottom but that just says look in the file you are in. And its not clickable eg does not take you to the text.

Now I am trying visual studio code with the Positron plugin. Searching works great but stuff like book marks is not as usable. The biggest issue is that on compiling and you have a compile failure you can see the error message but there is no system to jump to the offending line.

I really would prefer to us Positron Studio but need to sort out the search issues.

Any tips?

Also just to add replace is very hit and miss. Some times it tells you there are X instances and say OK replace only to find none were replaced.
Thanks
Tim

trastikata

Del.
(after re-reading the OP)

John Lawton

Yes Tim, I've too had issues with search in Positron Studio and communicated them to John B, but probably not as well as you have. I'm sure he'll be on the case as long as he can replicate the issue(s).

I find searching in multiple files a very useful feature, sometimes in the past I've had to use Notepad++ to do it..

John

keytapper

Kate, does it as well. But I guess that the positron studio is based on the same framework, like Kate and Notepad++.
Ignorance comes with a cost

JohnB

Tim - when searching across a project, I can find multiple occurrences which are listed in tree form on the messages screen.  double click on an item to expand it a get a list of all occurrences in that file. Double click on one of the entries and it will take you to that file and the line it occurred at.  I have noticed that sometimes it doesn't vector you at the first occurrence but thereafter it will take you other item in that file and if you let it wrap round will take you to the first occurrence.

I accept there are still shortcomings in the search and replace which I will try and get round to fixing as soo as I can.
JohnB